Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Difference between primary and transmission??

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 02:35 PM
gilmour68
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Difference between primary and transmission??

I'm ready to do my first oil change on my XL 1200 Cand was planning on doing the transmission oil as well. I'm a bit confused about the terminology I've seen on the forum so I'd thought I'd post here.

I have a copy of the service manual and I think the engine oil is easy enough. I get confusedwhen it comes tothe "transmission" and "primary". If I'm correct about this, I remove the plug below the derby cover to drain the transmission fluid. I then loosen the derby cover (after replacing the drain plug of course) and pour the oil in the crankcase. When the desired level is reached, replace the cover. If I'm correct about the above statement, the tranny oil change is complete. Questions - Is anything attached to the underside of the derby cover?? How easy are the covers to replace yourself? (I might change mine with the oil.)

What then is the primary and how does it differ (if at all)from the tranny??The reason I ask is because in other areas of the forum I've seen 3 different types of lubrication listed - one each for the engine, primary and tranny? The shop manual it says the engine oil, oil filter and primary chaincase/transmission lubricant should all be replaced @ 5k miles.There is no mention made of a "primary" oil change procedure...Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The following users liked this post:
Jason Bourne (03-11-2024)
Old 05-30-2007, 06:14 PM
jobless_bum
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Difference between primary and transmission??

the primary and tranny share the same oil on a XL. after you drain the fluid, adda new qt of oil to the primary.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:17 PM
jobless_bum
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

only on the big twins are the primary and tranny serperated

razzell2 (02-10-2022)
Old 05-30-2007, 06:25 PM
DirtyDave
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: jobless_bum

the primary and tranny share the same oil on a XL. after you drain the fluid, adda new qt of oil to the primary.
The Transmission and the ENGINE share the same oil in aSporty. (At least 84 through the 90's)

Old 05-30-2007, 07:15 PM
gilmour68
Road Master

Thanks guys - I thought there might be a difference between the Sporty and the BT. I'll go ahead and change the oil tonight.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:46 PM
jmetro
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

hey dave............NO THEY DON"T. the only thing that harley ever built that shares engine oil is some of the shovels that oil the primary with a drip from the oil pump and then returns it to the engine. sportys have trans/primary fluid, and oil.... through all the years.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:22 PM
gilmour68
Road Master

Changed both the engine oil and the primary/transmission oil tonight after all...Had the most trouble taking off the derby cover (didn't have a size 27 torx, only 25 and 30) and found that I really didn't need to take it off at all. I have more room to refill the crankcase if I remove the primary inspection cover and use a funnel. I used the Formula + for the tranny and Racing Lucas Oil Full Synthetic 20W-50 for the engine. Next change I'll use the Syn3 HD Oil (already bought 3 qts yesterday), though I don't know what I'll try in the tranny. Didn't notice abigdifference with the Formula + yet (i.e. reduced noise, etc.) May try something suggested in the posts here. Thanks for all your help...

razzell2 (02-10-2022)
Old 05-31-2007, 10:13 PM
DirtyDave
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: jmetro

hey dave............NO THEY DON"T. the only thing that harley ever built that shares engine oil is some of the shovels that oil the primary with a drip from the oil pump and then returns it to the engine. sportys have trans/primary fluid, and oil.... through all the years.
Sorry your right. It's been aten years since I've had one. The Trany and Engine are in the same case but the trany shares the primary oil.