Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

NEW Hydraulic Clutch Question......

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 01:20 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,810 Posts

Originally Posted by 13RoadKing
I had about 30 bikes, some of them with cable, some with hydraulic clutch, I don't remember difference.
Thanks for that

Old 02-03-2017, 02:06 PM
13RoadKing
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Is sharp engagement sign of heavy duty clutch spring?

Old 02-09-2017, 09:25 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,326 Likes on 10,702 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
It's hydraulic, it's fluid. It's either being forced or it's not, no in between. A cable is more forgiving because you have total control of how much pressure you are applying via the lever. Controlling fluid is more difficult. I don't know if you have ever used a Hi-Lo of fork truck but raising the forks on a fork truck it is slow a deliberate, when you release the pressure and drop the forks down it's instant.

Hope this helps.
YES! Thank you...........that really helps me get my head wrapped around it. Now THAT makes more sense on what/why I am feeling.

I do not have any fork truck experience my friend.

Originally Posted by bwoltz
A good hydraulic system typically exhibits much less friction and it narrows the friction zone by not being able to dampen the clutch movement. I put 150 miles on a 2017 street glide that has about 2000 mile on it, today. The friction zone was fine, no issues. It's narrow but I like it that way..

My 2017 Road King just went in for the 1000 mile service. The bike has a condition where the clutch will grab while in the friction zone if the throttle is blipped a bit.. I suspect that it is the ramp assist inside the clutch that causing the issue. I mentioned it to the service writer at the service to see what they say. It might need few more miles to smooth out.. I was also thinking it might need a couple burnouts to loosen things up.
Mu clutch does grab on occasion. A bit less now that I have 1,200 miles on it. I thought it was just me. If it continues, I will let the service writer know. Thank you for mentioning it.

BuzzCap7

Old 02-23-2017, 09:59 PM
r2t2k2
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

And now I'll speak to the prohibited items... Different levers of the adjustable variety. The Oberon levers are my favorite. It allows me to adjust where the friction zone is in relation to the grip.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:47 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

This is a common complaint from '17 owners.

HD changed the clutch slave cylinder (and maybe master?) for '17 to get more throw. I suspect that's how they lessened the KLANK into gear. If it were me I'd talk to the service guys about trying a '16 slave cylinder... it' a bolt on as far as I can tell.

I have the same assist & slip clutch in my '15 Limited Low & it's pretty nice.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below... For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sporsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

The following users liked this post:
BuzzCap7 (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 11:11 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,231 Likes on 3,611 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
Mu clutch does grab on occasion. A bit less now that I have 1,200 miles on it. I thought it was just me. If it continues, I will let the service writer know. Thank you for mentioning it.

BuzzCap7
After the service it was much better. It's still a little touchy in the friction zone. Say you are running parking lot speeds in the dirt to get get turned around and back on the road as the road you were on just dead ended. If the motor speed is too low and I need more power, I have to pull the clutch in, add throttle then get back into the friction zone quickly. If I simply add throttle the clutch will engage and the bike jumps a little.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:30 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,326 Likes on 10,702 Posts

Originally Posted by bwoltz
After the service it was much better. It's still a little touchy in the friction zone. Say you are running parking lot speeds in the dirt to get get turned around and back on the road as the road you were on just dead ended. If the motor speed is too low and I need more power, I have to pull the clutch in, add throttle then get back into the friction zone quickly. If I simply add throttle the clutch will engage and the bike jumps a little.
YES YES YES!!!! I can relate to that!!!!

IS there someplace to give HD our input? I am going to the HD site to see. I suspect not but will try.

I want my larger friction zone back.

BuzzCap7

Old 02-24-2017, 03:51 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

IS there someplace to give HD our input? I am going to the HD site to see. I suspect not but will try.

BuzzCap7
You should be able to at least get a free t-shirt out of the deal.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:15 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,231 Likes on 3,611 Posts

BuzzCap7
I don't know how much of the TC parts fit the M8 but I know Barnett makes a Scorpion clutch for the M8 already.. I may go that way but it probably won't be til after the bike goes out of warranty and the motor gets a hotter build.

The following users liked this post:
BuzzCap7 (02-25-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 11:22 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,810 Posts

IS there someplace to give HD our input?
I don't know if you'll find that, but I did see all the HD employees wearing one of these buttons

Last edited by multihdrdr; 02-26-2017 at 07:04 AM.

Quick Reply: NEW Hydraulic Clutch Question......