Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Inner Primary Mainshaft Oil Seal???

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 11:22 AM
LowGlyd
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inner Primary Mainshaft Oil Seal???

I have a ? for the Master Mechs out there. Im doing a rebuild on my early '84 Fxrs.Its been a longtime honored tradition toswitch from the engine oiler scavenge systemof the shovel era to the seperated primary oil/engine oil system oflate.

This what im doing. I want to put a wet clutch on in place of the old dry clutch.

The thing is, inboth of the manuals i have (Factory and Clymers)it doesn't mentionmuch, if anything, about theInner primary, let alone an oil seal that should be located on the inside (directly next to the tranny sprocket nut) of the inner primary.

I havewhat looks like an oil sealin my rebuild gasket kit that fits perfectly into the detented ring surrounding the holefor the mainshaft to pass through into the primary. I also have what looks like a metal/rubber seal that fits perfectly around the main shaft and fits nicely into the affore mentioned seal that fits into the inner primary.

Im fairly certain that when i disassembled the primary, that there was Nothing back there. I simply attributed that to the fact that it was a "dry clutch" and not much oil would be able to get out of the inner primary case.

My ?...Is there a set of bearings and seals that go around the mainshaft to seal up that hole on the Late '84 model FXRS?
If so, would anyonehappen to know a parts number. Or, do the gaskets that i have fit the bill? OR, am i just over thinking this???

Many Thanks in advance.
LowGlyd.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:15 PM
LowGlyd
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Inner Primary Mainshaft Oil Seal???

I gotter all figured out.
The bearing was in fact missing. This is what had messed my clutch up to begin with.
The bearing and seal is on its way and should be here by noon.
All is well and good in the world. Ill be riding by sun down.

Thanks y'all
LG