Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Compensator

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 06:04 PM
treeextractor
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Compensator

Sorry Bob. Rotor is on bike and I know thats what you needed so I did not send. Rbabos the can and springs are still in the bike. What kind of problem could I have. They are not rattling, yet.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:41 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Basically they are not under any pressure and may rattle around in the housing. You may not hear it as it's light weight. My best guess would be that in time the hard edges of the disc washers will chew away at the inside of the softer housing , adding some small debri to the oil. Don't expect anything major to happen, just don't like the idea of having them in there. Next time your in the primary pull the sprocket and flatten at least two of the dimples on the end of the drum and they will pull out. Not sure of your compless sprocket setup. Maybe there's a spacer that already jams them (dics)against the hub? If that's the case, you don't have a problem.
Ron

Old 11-28-2007, 08:26 PM
treeextractor
Cruiser

Thanks Ron. Yes there is a spacer(same spacer I believe) up against the disk/hub. Wish you lived in the Spokane area, loved to have you work on my bike. planing maybe 103 or 107 build next winter.

Thanks again, John

Old 11-29-2007, 08:02 PM
rbabos
Banned

Well, after two nights of pissing around with mikes and dial indicators to come up with a better working spring arangement for this comp I'm ready to throw in the towel and go 30 tooth direct. Can't seem to get the ramp travel and spring pressure increase to go hand in hand to my liking. Sure I could get them (discs) custom made, but for what it would cost for tooling, it would pay for the direct sprocket and chain.
Ron

Old 11-29-2007, 08:22 PM
HOGBOB
Tourer

Ron,

You could buy a new spring pack from HD. I know it would be a pig in a poke, as to wether it would be any better than your original, but I've ridden other 07's, that did not knock or vibrateat all. It just tells me that this arrangement can work. I'm going to go this route, and if it does not work hopefully Baker has an option by spring. Good luck, and report back with your results.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:27 PM
treeextractor
Cruiser

You will not regret it. I have read somewhere that the IDS has beenmodified to work on a softail, but mine is fine not having even the ids. I and others really love the direct drive and I am positive you will also. John

Old 11-29-2007, 09:03 PM
rbabos
Banned

HOGBOB: I feel the pack I have now is in good shape but the design is not worth the effort. Too damn borderline in operation. Plus there's that embarrasing starter clunk I'm tired of explaining and the 6th gear that most of the time I can't use due to posted speeds. Didn't want to spend the money at this point because of all the other upgrades in a short period of time but that thing will bug me until it's hanging on the wall and out of my bike. When the ids comes out for softails it should be the perfect package.

Ron

Old 12-01-2007, 02:12 PM
rbabos
Banned

HOGBOB: Have you been able to track down a part # for a new spring pack? My dealer has no listing for them in the book.
Ron

Old 12-01-2007, 07:01 PM
HOGBOB
Tourer

The last time it was in the dealers, I had them look up the Compensator. I didn't ask them to look up the spring pack as a seperate part, just the compensator assembly. I haven't spent to much time with the bike recently due to the weather around here. They are calling for 16" of snow tomorrow night, so needless to say, I spent today changing the oil in all our vehicles, and tuning upthe snow blower.[&:]I may go over next week, and I'll ask then.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:27 PM
treeextractor
Cruiser

16" Snow! Wow around hear they close down the schoolsfor 3-4 inches. I cant remember that much snow in a storm since 92-93 here in the inland NW Wa.

Quick Reply: Compensator