Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Compensator

Old 12-01-2007, 08:21 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Compensator

HOGBOB: The reason I asked is because I doubt anything is wrong with the actual comp. The friggin metal is as hard as a file and not likely ever wear out. That leaves the spring pack. I'd bet those bastards will want you to buy the complete rotor with the springs installed. $$$$$$$$$$$
Ron

Old 12-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/fb.asp?m=2535282
Should have put this here in this area. 2007-2008 primary was redesigned and things now are crowded inside now. Much bigger sprokets. Might help somebody.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:10 AM
rbabos
Banned

Old Gunny: Good stuff. I remember one night on a hot ride through town I started to hear what could be best described as playing card stuck in the spokes of a bycicle wheel travelling at 100mph. To me it sounded like the links of the chain chewing up the shoe of the adjuster. The sound went away since it was never heated up to that point again. After reading your post I went out and looked at my outer primary and sure enough the links of the chain have put two grooves into the area that was factory machined for extra clearance. One more mystery solved. Another .030 ground off and it's good to go. Clearly the factory scewed that one up. Here's another. The rotor on mine could not be removed until one of two things were done. Unbolt the inner primary at the same time to give it clearance or take a drum sander and machine more off at the front area that is already machined to supposedly give the rotor clearance to come out. Basic 1 hour job turned into 4-5 but once done it's as it was suppose to be. Manual states pull the rotor off by putting bolts in the hub holes. There is no mention that it will not go past the inner primary[:@]
Ron

Old 12-02-2007, 07:50 PM
treeextractor
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Name:  30T20Chain1.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  39.8 KB

Old 12-03-2007, 03:40 PM
rbabos
Banned

With that 30 tooth on there , no clearance problems for sure.
Ron

Old 12-03-2007, 09:17 PM
treeextractor
Cruiser

It's a nice piece Ron. If I told ya that It comesin your choice of colors Gold, sliver andplatinumwould that help nuge ya, hummm. lol[8D]

Old 12-04-2007, 03:59 PM
rbabos
Banned

No doubt it's a nice piece. Is your engine rubber mounted because I have the B motor and was wondering if you have any reports with B motors converted to the 30 tooth. I have no ids due to not made for softails yet and wonder what difference the 30 tooth made in the sound of the tranny? I have slight clatter now in fifth. Always wondered if the stock comp was causing some of this? Hell, if they can't make a chrome sprocket, I don't want one
Ron

Old 12-04-2007, 04:26 PM
rbabos
Banned

Hot off the press. Evolution has no intentions of making a 30 tooth comp sprocket. They are instead pursuing a compensating clutch basket that will also give a gearing change. Will come with chain, once itbecomes available.Now to me , that makes more sense than that problematic engine compensator.
Ron

Old 12-04-2007, 06:50 PM
treeextractor
Cruiser

dont know of any 96b motors running it. but I will tell ya had a break in the weather today tookthe bike out and went to town and ran it up the hwy to the interstate to spokane, all I can say you Dogsare missing a real treat.I plan to upgrade my cluch. I'll check Evolution Industries new clutch when it comes out.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:02 PM
rbabos
Banned

I must be a glutton for punishment or something because I keep coming back to the comp. After much more measuring it was discovered that the preload on my existing pack is only .065. That's not enough. It should be .1035 according to most spring manufacturers. A spacer of .032-.040 at the back of the spring pack will give more positive preload. It will not detract any significant amount in the sprocket travel in operation, which is why no more than .105 should be used. This is based on my pack, which measures when stacked as it goes in the cup at .690 at the highest point. Fully compressed it measures in at .380. With the .040 spacer added the spring working zone will be .205 left to compress, which puts thenew travel to existingwear pattern to within 1/16" of where it was before. Don't get me wrong, I still thing the unit is a piece of ****, but by doing this at least the dull knock at takeoff should be gone. There is a small amount of wear on the edges of the disc washers which happens as they settle in and mate with each other that could have dropped the preload from the new condition.
Apparently the only way to get a new springpack is to buy the whole rotor. Screw them[:@]
Ron

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Compensator