Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Transmission Fluid Leak? Look here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 12:52 PM
timbo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid Leak? Look here.

Well true to my word in joining this forum recently, I offered to contribute in any way I could technically. So I hope someone finds this of some use.

Well this is the second time for my shifter shaft seal to go bad. The first time it was replaced under warranty and lasted about 15k miles. Now it's leaking again so I'm replacing it myself. I'm posting this because I think some people that think they have a transmission output shaft seal leak when they really have a shifter shaft seal leak instead. The oil leaks out and can blow back to the sprocket area leaving you to believe that it is the trans output shaft. When really the likelyhood is a bad shifter shaft seal. This time when the seal failed it was much easier to trace the leakage because I use Redline Heavy Shockproof oil now which is a very bright red. A little visual with a dental mirror before disassembly verified that.

Disgusted with the amount of time the initial repair held up I decided to do a little research on shifter shaft seals. I came to find out that the cheap Harley seal is a single lip seal that quite a few people have had problems with failing again after being replaced. So I investigated and turned to Cometic Gaskets for a solution to the shifter shaft leak. Turns out they have a high quality, double lip shifter shaft seal with tension spring. Perfect! And you can see by the pics, just how cheap the stock seal is. IMO, Cometic makes great gaskets. I rebuilt part of my engine when changing to gear drive cams using them and I'm very satisfied.

Hopefully I won't have this problem again. Can't wait to get it all back together. Especially after slapping the 3.37 gearing in there. Got the old hub pressed into the new basket yesterday! The weather is going to be crappy here for the next few days so I'm taking my time to keep myself busy.

I'll let you know how it turns out once I get it together.

Old 12-09-2005, 02:10 PM
MegaHDman
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Transmission Fluid Leak? Look here.

I have used both, both will work fine, BOTH WILL LEAK if they get knicked when installing them. Its very easy to see that your factory seal is knicked. Once you remove the seal, you need to toss it and replace it with a new seal and need to be extra careful when installing it. Very very easy to damage.

Old 12-09-2005, 03:15 PM
timbo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. I put masking tape over the splines before installing.

Old 12-09-2005, 03:26 PM
MegaHDman
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, its a vital step most people dont do. But a smart one.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:46 AM
Road King Kid
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

I think that this is the leak that I may have. Can't find any details in the shop manual about replacing the shifter shaft seal. Will it be obvious once I have the inner primary torn off?

Old 08-28-2007, 09:53 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

My shift shaft seal is leaking also.Funny you say that its easy to detect because of the Redline.I knew it is the shift shaft seal because I can see where it is all wet around that seal.I'm using redline as well but the leaking oil just turns black from all the dirt that clings to it.
The dealer is going to do the warranty repair this sat.