Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

clutch spring pressure adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 02:17 PM
old evo
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch spring pressure adjustments

Im putting anew clutch hub,pressure plate (aluminum type),and new stock springs. How do I adjust the spring pressure? The HD manual talks about a 1 1/32 measurement from the spring collar to the back of the pressure plate. With the pressure plate being a different style should I measufe from the (face) of the plate to the spring collar,then add the thickness of the stock one to it or is there another method? I did add aextra disc and steel plate. please reply

Old 04-01-2008, 07:32 PM
NitroBerserker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: clutch spring pressure adjustments

I am running one of the aluminum pressure plates on my shovel andthe wayI do it is to measure the depth of the holes the springs set into - to the outer surface of the pressure plate ( the surface AWAY from the clutches ) Then subtract this number from the total distance harley gives you, you say 1" 1/32( or whatever) so lets say the springs are 1/2 in (or 16/32) down into the pressure plate then your measument would be33/32 - 16/32= 17/32 Thats if your using the stock spring collar

it doesn't matter if you added any clutch plates since the whole pressure plate / spring packmoves out as a unit. its just further out on the studs.

although with extra plates you can get away with a little less pressure for the same result in my opinionbut that is a whole nuther topic for discussion.

Hope this helps