Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

roadking custom high speed wobble

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 08:49 PM
wydopn231
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default roadking custom high speed wobble

Anyone using any of the items that state they eliminate the hight speed wobble that seems standard to touring line up.I have 06 roadking custom and had 05 roadking custom both have bad reaend wobble around 120 and Im looking to sove that.Heck just getting out of 4th gear and have to shut down.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:54 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: roadking custom high speed wobble

The wobble (for want of a better word) should not manifest simply in straight line speed. If that is the case check the steering head bearings, wheel bearings, laces if you got em, etc. Long sweeping bends especially with an uneven road surface can at higher speeds make the bike feel a little unsteady, not bad enough to cause you to bin it but far from comfortable either. This is due to the design of the rear swingarm mount which allows a very small amount of movement which can sometimes be felt. It does not tend to manifest in tight bends, or straight roads, and some don't get it at all, although this may be just because the circumstances have not been right as even mine does not do it all the time. It has to be just the right speed, and type of bend, although as said a slight undulation in the road can trigger it when all other factors are just right. I've had mine flat out and have noticed that for some reason these bikes do not respond well to an un-relaxed rider, so if you're a bit tense that may cause an issue.
I guess that if you really want to ride at 120+, then a V-rod or another make of motorcycle may be the better option. My king will cruise all day fully loaded two up at 85 mph, and feel good doing it. Above that and I just get tired more quickly and have to stop more often, so for a long haul going faster doesn't get me there any quicker.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:20 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

I would by a differrent bike for those speeds!

Old 03-23-2008, 09:04 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

WildBill is spot-on...

With one exception. Road conditions/quality can impact how the FLH's handle in straight line scenarios.

The reason these things 'wobble' is because of the bushing configuration that holds the swingarm, and the fact that the motor is rubber mounted & allows a certain degree of 'flex'. The 'wobble' is MUCH more pronounced in long, sweeping curves - but can also be felt on straight roads that have uneven concrete/asphalt. Highways that have excessive wear from years of traffic will get the bike to do the 'wobble' Some of the roads here by my house get FLH's 'wobbling' around 75-80mph while going in a straight line. I'm told that a tru-track will fix it, but I have not installed one yet to verify.

I would have to agree some of the other guys - a buck twenty IS a bit fast on these bikes without some significant suspension upgrades.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:16 AM
wydopn231
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for responding.maybe I misstated the goal here its not to run 150 all the time just to be able to get there,if the occasion arises.My question if going fast isnt an option why all the engine upgrades.heck factory crap will run fast is everone running stop light to light with old fart bikes now.But thanks for ideas on problem I dont think most apply as this is second roadking custom and both had sam problem at same point on the speedo.Guess its time for the porta band and welder and add some rake to the front end it worked on the springer use to do samething around 110 ,added 4 degress and then had now wobble even way on up ion the fun meter

Old 03-30-2008, 11:30 AM
rredneckn
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Glide -pro on my SG its on rails now.The other units are bandaids for the tracking problem.WWW.GLIDE-PRO.com

Old 03-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed, to the front, race teck emulators, progressive springs (stock heigth). 10 wt amsoil fork oil. Completely new feel, no wobble. Cuts a beautiful sweep at 100 so far. Planted feel and there were bumps in the road. Set oil level to height after putting in emulators. Have to follow instructions but an easy do.
I will put in Progressive or Works rear shocks and springs (probably standard duty) as soon as I save up some more.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:49 PM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Frankly I'm surprised the king will do 120 at all.