Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

ATF fluid in primary???

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: ATF fluid in primary???

I will caution those that are still under warranty. The ATF will not cause you any issues, but if there happens to be a warranty issue with anything in the primary, the ATF could cause a serious discussion as it is quite different that what is recommended.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:24 AM
peppi
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The question here is would you use chain lube in your automatic trans or fork oil in the trans ?

Old 04-11-2008, 10:59 AM
lecomte38
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if the compensator needs a heavier oil?

Old 04-12-2008, 07:58 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,679 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Compensators on older bikes simply had grease smeared on them upon assembly. Granted they would eventually wear out.

As mentioned earlier, ATF is also used in heavy duty transfer cases with chain drive for the front wheels drive componentsand lots of heavily loaded bearings.

And anyone using motor oil OF ANY KIND in their primary is asking for trouble. Fine for the chain and bearings, but NO GOOD for the clutches.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:46 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

i have used harley primary oil, 10w30 motor oil, 10w40 motor oil and atf in my 85 fl. original adjuster shoe, chain and clutch is still in there. 80,000 miles and never had a primary mechanical problem, ever.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:35 AM
Harleyuser
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just did a fresh rebuild on a 1980 FLT i get it all back together & have clutch drag at low rpm's been in & out of the primary 5-10 times adjusting. even went in all the way for oil seals & new gaskets & bearings. still have the freakin drag. my local wrench told me to use RevTech's primary oil to fix low rpm clutch drag Q:now do i skip that mess & go right to ATF????

Old 04-12-2008, 09:49 AM
2006UltraClassic
Novice

ORIGINAL: t150vej

Compensators on older bikes simply had grease smeared on them upon assembly. Granted they would eventually wear out.

As mentioned earlier, ATF is also used in heavy duty transfer cases with chain drive for the front wheels drive componentsand lots of heavily loaded bearings.

And anyone using motor oil OF ANY KIND in their primary is asking for trouble. Fine for the chain and bearings, but NO GOOD for the clutches.
If using motor oil of any kind is such a major mistake, then why are so many doing it and recomending certain grades with no problems? If this is the case then what do you suggest one to use?
My '02 Ultra has 10w30 in the primary and has been fine for 47k miles. If anyone thinks that is wrong or something else should be use, Im open for suggestions.

Old 04-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Xtreme
Tourer

I run atf in mine its great for the clutches.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:19 PM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 275 Likes on 202 Posts

Motor oil in the primary is fine.......as long as does not say "Energy Conserving" on the bottle. Most 10w30 and below should be avoided. 10w40 and up work just fine. Synthetic or regular does not make any difference.

Harley's own old type primary fluid, SYN3, regular 20w50, including the Formular Plus are fine to use in the primary.

I totally agree with Dalton when it comes to warranty. If your bike is under warranty....useATF at your own risk.

I would like to mention though....probably something like 20-30 years ago. I heard several riders using ATF type F and were having trouble. The ATF was causing the magnets inside the rotor to come loose....consequently killing the rotor and sometimes the stator as well.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am not "recommending" anyone change to ATF. I am running it and th clutch manufacturer recommends it. The clutch is so smooth and have very positive desengagement and very smooth shifts. As far as the rotor/stator issue, I have not heard that one and wonder how valid it was as again, a lot of the aftermarket hi-perf clutch manufacturers recommend ATF, although Dexron II or greater, not the old type "f"

Quick Reply: ATF fluid in primary???