Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Tech & Mechanical Forum > Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.
Sponsored by: Baker Drivetrain

P

Old 04-08-2008, 08:40 PM
Hang Around
Default ATF fluid in primary???

Hello all. Can I continut to run atf in my primary ? Does it provide enough lube for the basket bearing and the primary chain?( Saw something about inner primary bearing getting enough lube on twin cam bikes?) I'd like to hear who else is using the atf and how long you have been doing it. Thanks .
Old 04-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Outstanding HDF Member
Send a message via AIM to nine11c2
Default RE: ATF fluid in primary???

It's less than a quart. Why would you mess with atf?

I'm out - and they'll never ever drag me back in..
Don't miss my Motorcycle Blog http://motorsandcycles.blogspot.com/
Old 04-08-2008, 08:44 PM
Road Warrior

They been doing it in automatic transmissions since they were invented! ya know - bearings, disc clutches, bushings and all that good stuff in them. So go figure!
Old 04-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Hang Around

ATF because clutch continued to drag while running amsoil 20/50 synthetic motorcyle in primary. Seems to be working great with the atf. Your right t150, there are alot of moving parts in an automatic trans that live off of atf. Do you think the atf lubes the chain enough as it makes contact over the sprockets?
Old 04-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Ultimate HDF Member

Running ATF in mine, and Rivera-Primo recommends it for all their clutch setups. Works and lubes just fine. Primary function of the oil in the primary is cooling of the clutch.

2010 Electra Glide Limited
~Powered by HeadQuarters~
Old 04-08-2008, 09:32 PM
Road Master

ran ATF in mine for a while b4 going to open belt drive

think about it............FWD trannies have all the same components.......drive chain (lot of GM and ford), clutches, bearings, etc..........
1991 chopped 1200 sporty DEFINETLY NOT STOCK!
2008 Street Glide 103 SE big bore looks stock but the motor aint!
Old 04-09-2008, 07:40 AM
Prospect

been runnin atf for about a week now, tried runnin 20/50 castrol motor oil first, now I'm gonna try the HD primary fluid because after a week my neutral light is flickering when running and doesn't even come on when you turn on the key. Of course, my cousin's stepson is a HD mechanic who I trust and he didn't recommend it and he also told me that my 98 LR only holds 18 ozs. in the tranny not a quart which was why I overfilled it.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:45 AM
Big Kahuna HDF Member

It will work just fine. Te wrench at my dealer told me that is all they used to use. If you are concerned than use Mobil1 synthetic ATF or Amsoil synthetic ATF. Both are very robust.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
ORIGINAL: uglyd1

ATF because clutch continued to drag while running amsoil 20/50 synthetic motorcyle in primary. Seems to be working great with the atf. Your right t150, there are alot of moving parts in an automatic trans that live off of atf. Do you think the atf lubes the chain enough as it makes contact over the sprockets?
Back in the old days the primary chain only saw the occaisional drip from the vent tube. You could control the drip rate with a needle at the oil pump. Chains and sprockets seem to last ok, even with this minimal lube. The fraze Harleys are suppose to leak oil came from this arrangement as after a while any excess dripped out of a drain hole in the inner primary. Personally , I think ATF is perfect for the cluch operation and should not hurt anything else in the primary.
Ron
Old 04-10-2008, 07:28 AM
Senior Rider

ATF makes sense to me. clutches grab, too slick ( synthetic and dyno with additives ) gotta result in a slipping clutch. Too thick is just going to drag and amplify the 1st gear clunk. I am interrested to see more responses to this.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:28 AM

P

Tags
1991, 2050, atf, custom, fluid, harley, harleydavidson, leaking, motor, oil, primary, primo, rivera, roadstar, softail