Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

06 Dyna inner primary bearing part #'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Oilslick
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 06 Dyna inner primary bearing part #'s

Dawg, I know what your saying butit's pressed in from the side you can see with the press tool against the bearing side you can also seeand looks to me like the opposite side to the letter side. Now the way it's done in the picture makes more sense to me because the press tool wouldn't bear against the more delicate looking side that has the ring and circlip. Pressing it out, itwouldn't matter because you would replace the bearing. The other thing is that the serial numbers on the inner race and the roller bearing would then be on the same side which may or may not be significant. I'm not a bearing expertso I'll see if I can find out from someone who is.

KBFXDLI, The noise wasn't that loud at all considering the state of the bearings but definately noticable. A bit like the old type throw out bearing on a manual car just starting to fail except that the noise is there when idling with the clutch out in neutral and then disappears when the clutch pulled (and a blip of the throttle to free the plates off) i.e. the opposite way round.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:10 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,739 Likes on 2,059 Posts

ORIGINAL: dawg

If I'm not mistaken,
the side you press the bearing in from would be where the letters would be (which is up).

Therefore,
according to the picture the letters are facing up as also stated in the text.
Dawg, unless I am misreading you, no.

In the picture from the Service Manual, the letter side is down.

mud........

Old 05-21-2008, 06:19 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,946 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Aren't the letters shown where I circled? Wouldn't that be up since that is the side you press in?

[IMG]local://upfiles/13641/BCB58F655BA94286A9B06C1F327EA5CE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-21-2008, 06:39 PM
squeeech
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

G'day Mud and other,
Just to add confusion, did ya notice in there was only one alignment dowel and if ya weren't careful things could be slightly out of alignment !!! If you look at the above pictures it looks like the race is only wore on one side , which adds weight to this theory. Mine was groved all the way around, however. I had a friends "07 service book and it showed two dowels, ( i don't have an '06 book), but i know that there was only one on mine. Could they have missed this on the production line and added to the problem? Anyway, just thinkin' out loud. The Evo's had a better alignment system if ya ask me. If ya got an '06 book have a look and let me know, (thanks).

And KBFX , there is ALSO a grinding noise when rolling to a stop with the clutch IN and the bike still in first gear, it sounds like a gearbox grinding sound but was gone when I did the bearing, proving that it was at fault .

Graham.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:15 PM
mud
muderator

Aren't the letters shown where I circled? Wouldn't that be up since that is the side you press in?
no, they are here........

mud

Old 05-21-2008, 07:15 PM
mud
muderator

ORIGINAL: squeeech

G'day Mud and other,
Just to add confusion, did ya notice in there was only one alignment dowel and if ya weren't careful things could be slightly out of alignment !!!

Graham.
Graham, which alignment dowel/s are you speaking of??

mud

Old 05-22-2008, 04:52 AM
Oilslick
Tourer

If you mean to align the inner primary case to the crancase / gearbox, I don't have any alignment dowels on mine. Hmmmm!!!

Old 05-23-2008, 03:43 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

OK I get it now.....I had occassion to take off inner primary today and the numbers were visible from inside the primary, butthe bearing gets pressed in from the rear so the numbers should face the rear because that would be up when pressing! Anyway I pressed in a bearing with the letters facing the rear

Old 05-23-2008, 04:18 PM
Oilslick
Tourer

OK I get it now.....I had occassion to take off inner primary today and the numbers were visible from inside the primary, butthe bearing gets pressed in from the rear so the numbers should face the rear because that would be up when pressing! Anyway I pressed in a bearing with the letters facing the rear
Confusing isn't it?

I went into an INA bearing supplier and the guy there seemed to think that it's normal practice for the serial numbers of the inner race and the roller bearing to be on the same side and that the arbor for pressing the bearing in should make contact with the side opposite the serial numbers. I don't know howexperienced he is though but it does sound plausible. Right now, all I want to do is ride so, as soon as the parts arrive, I will assemble it all and hope for the best.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:03 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Oilslick

Confusing isn't it?

I went into an INA bearing supplier and the guy there seemed to think that it's normal practice for the serial numbers of the inner race and the roller bearing to be on the same side and that the arbor for pressing the bearing in should make contact with the side opposite the serial numbers. I don't know howexperienced he is though but it does sound plausible. Right now, all I want to do is ride so, as soon as the parts arrive, I will assemble it all and hope for the best.
The tech at HD told me to press on the number side, that's what I did.

Quick Reply: 06 Dyna inner primary bearing part #'s