Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Tech & Mechanical Forum > Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.
Sponsored by: Baker Drivetrain

P

Old 06-10-2008, 06:53 AM
One Of The Regulars
Default Transmission and Primary Oil Change

Before everybody tells me to get a service manual, i already have one. I have&nbsp\\; been unable to find how to change the transmission and primary fluid in my Heritage. I know how to change the transmission but my question is does the bike need to be cold? Also what kind of fluid do you run in your transmission. I was told to run gear oil. I'm not sure on how to change the primary fluid. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance
&nbsp\\;

1995 Heritage Softail Nostalgia
Old 06-10-2008, 07:19 PM
One Of The Regulars
Asylumcycle
Default RE: Transmission and Primary Oil Change

should be screw @ bottom/change it warm,then fluids come out better and you get more of the"goo" out.
01 flstc 75,000 miles
95CI 585 gear cams/self ported heads/98hp 110ft lbs
Old 06-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Ultimate HDF Member

See that big round cover with about five bolts in it on the left side of the primary? Drain bolt should be under that. Take it off to fill it back up again. Check your manual to see whether the bike needs to be on the stand or straight up. For the primary use a quality motor oil, 30w or such. Nothing fancy is needed there. For the tranny I use Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil, 75w/90 or 75w/140. Just my personal choice, others use amsoil, redline, purple stuff, pick one but synthetic makes the shifting much smoother.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:21 AM
One Of The Regulars

Thanks for the help. I got the primary oil drained last night but i was unable to find the drain plug for the transmission, any advise?

1995 Heritage Softail Nostalgia
Old 06-11-2008, 06:46 PM
One Of The Regulars
Asylumcycle

look right under your tranny side cover, you may have to look between the pipes depending on what pipes you have.
01 flstc 75,000 miles
95CI 585 gear cams/self ported heads/98hp 110ft lbs
Old 06-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Ultimate HDF Member

Try between the shocks.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Outstanding HDF Member
Send a message via Yahoo to voyager1

It is between the shocks.... You almost have to do it by feel. Hard to see. I belive it takes a 5/8 soocket,and a long extension. Caution. It is very easy to strip the threads putting it back in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't ask me how I know .
Old 07-12-2012, 04:50 AM
Elite HDF Member

It is not between the shocks, it is a small plug on the right side of the transmission, just below the cover that the clutch cable go into.

It is a torx, be careful when you re install the plug, it is a tapered pipe plug, and overtightening can cause damage.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:30 AM
One Of The Regulars

On softtails it is between shocks 5/8 socket ,it has a magnet pickup on it and a small o ring that needs to be inspected before reinstall.Replace o-ring if even slightly torn
HPI 55 Doherty a/c
Fatcat standard baffle
Screaming Eagle 6 Speed
108tq/118hp sae
Old 07-12-2012, 08:55 AM
Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisinmann View Post
On softtails it is between shocks 5/8 socket ,it has a magnet pickup on it and a small o ring that needs to be inspected before reinstall.Replace o-ring if even slightly torn
Seriously?!? It is o.k. not to post when you do not know something.

Guys, not everyone has a twin cam.

The OP has an EVO engine, the tranny drain is NOT where our twin cam's tranny drain is. Dan89 is correct....

2001 FLSTSI
Old 07-12-2012, 08:55 AM

P