Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Tech & Mechanical Forum > Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.
Sponsored by: Baker Drivetrain

P

Old 06-20-2008, 09:16 PM
Road Warrior
Default Belt Replacement (secondary)

I discovered a rock puncture in the center of my belt - I immediately assumed it needed to be replaced, but a post below here someone says this is not too serious as long as the edges are in good shape.
&nbsp\\;
1 - what is "not too serious"?&nbsp\\; Drive it like normal and don't worry about it?&nbsp\\; Only drive it to get it fixed?&nbsp\\; etc.
&nbsp\\;
2 - I have already looked through the service manual and this looks to be a pretty involved project... how bad is it?&nbsp\\; I'm somewhat mech inclined.&nbsp\\; I've had the entire front end off and disassembled, but I have never done anything to the engine besides all the regularly scheduled maintenance.
It looks like some extra tools are needed - dial caliper, seriously?&nbsp\\; Some sort of stop block - anything other than the HD part that will work?
&nbsp\\;
HD quoted me just under $600 for this, $200 for parts.&nbsp\\; I really don't want to toss the extra $400 out if I can do this, but I don't want to end up with my bike fooked either.
&nbsp\\;
Thanks
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Mt. Rainier
2005 Wide Glide, 95" Stage I, V&H ProPipe, PCIII - 80/88
Old 06-20-2008, 09:42 PM
Hang Around
Default RE: Belt Replacement (secondary)

Sounds to me like you would need to replace it
Try this link...if you decide to do it your self it might help.
http://www.harleyhog.co.uk/belt%20install%201.htm
&nbsp\\;
Good luck
Old 06-20-2008, 10:16 PM
Sponsor

You do not need to remove the axle &amp\\; wheel. &nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; You can just take one bolt (the bike is jacked up for support) and rotate the shock downward.&nbsp\\; Put the belt around the pulley and inside of the shock.&nbsp\\; replace the shock bolt.&nbsp\\; Put a ratcheting tie down on both sides of the trans over the frame to keep the motor/trans in place. &nbsp\\; Just remove the isolator by moving the pivot shaft in but do not remove it completely.&nbsp\\; It just needs to be open enough to turn the belt sideways &amp\\; slip it in.&nbsp\\; You just saved a bunch of time.&nbsp\\; Go to my sit for pictorials &amp\\; how-to.
~Contact via e-Mail~
use my own e-Mail: howard@motorcyclemetal.com
http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/contact.html
Old 06-20-2008, 10:32 PM
Road Warrior

Quote:
ORIGINAL: FastHarley

You do not need to remove the axle &amp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; wheel. &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\; You can just take one bolt (the bike is jacked up for support) and rotate the shock downward.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; Put the belt around the pulley and inside of the shock.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; replace the shock bolt.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; Put a ratcheting tie down on both sides of the trans over the frame to keep the motor/trans in place. &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; Just remove the isolator by moving the pivot shaft in but do not remove it completely.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; It just needs to be open enough to turn the belt sideways &amp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; slip it in.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; You just saved a bunch of time.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; Go to my sit for pictorials &amp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; how-to.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Can you be a little more specific about your site?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I looked around and didn't see what you are referring to.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Thanks
&nbsp\\;
p.s do I understand this to mean I don't need to take the whole primary apart, chain, clutch, etc... per the manual?

Mt. Rainier
2005 Wide Glide, 95" Stage I, V&H ProPipe, PCIII - 80/88
Old 06-21-2008, 08:47 AM
Sponsor

p.s do I understand this to mean I don't need to take the whole primary apart, chain, clutch, etc... per the manual? &nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;ANS…&gt\\; You need to take the inner primary off.&nbsp\\; Check all pulleys while at it.&nbsp\\; I did not tell you not to take off the primary….LINK: (HERE)
~Contact via e-Mail~
use my own e-Mail: howard@motorcyclemetal.com
http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/contact.html
Old 06-21-2008, 08:47 AM

P

Tags
2008, belt, change, davidson, drive, harley, harleydavidson, harleydavison, remove, replace, replacement, replacing, secondary, seconddary, sportster, trans