Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Primary oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 09:19 PM
underdog
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary oil leak

Hi everybody I'm a new Harley owner and have a oil leak at the primary cover. This is on a 2000 FLHTC. It looked like it was leaking around the drain plug area. So I changed the gasket and used teflon tape on the plug. No good. It doesn't leak while sitting only after a ride. Wipe off the oil and it stays dry. Seems to me it's leaking somewhere else and just flows toward the plug when on the kick stand. Any ideas??

Old 03-20-2005, 09:57 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts
Default RE: Primary oil leak

Might have to put it on a lift to see the source. Could be leaking from the tranny. If yer willing to try a little experiment, it might be easier to pinpoint. Drain the primary and refill it with ATF. The different color will make it easier to spot. The ATF won't hurt anything; I usually run it in my primary.

Old 03-20-2005, 11:13 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

May be the inner primary seal behind the clutch. A couple of fellow riders have had this happen recently.

Old 03-21-2005, 01:47 AM
Triple Z
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My vote is also for a leaking inner primary seal. Leaks from this seal are all too common.
Unfortunately, the seal is cheap, but getting it re & re'd is not.

Old 03-21-2005, 03:22 AM
nmfxstc
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a leak lkke that as well....turned out to be the derby cover wasn't seating well. The cover had somehow gotten slightly warped.

Old 03-21-2005, 08:59 AM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something you can do by tracing the leak back, is by using tissue/toilet paper in suspected areas untill you find the source.

Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
twoglides13 (10-25-2021)
Old 03-21-2005, 09:47 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you need a new motorcycle. Bring it to me, and I'll trade you for a vstar 650 with a couple hundred from you for boot, of course.

Normally how I find leaks, is to first clean the area up using degreaser, carb cleaner etc. Then I blow baby powder around the suspected area. Crank her up and check it out, or let it sit in this case. Good luck.

Old 03-21-2005, 10:55 AM
hawk
Road Master

Good suggestions from every one

Old 03-21-2005, 11:00 AM
taurusjim
Cruiser

tranny seal for sure ....very common among softails....seal cheap labour at harley dealer about 2 and 1/2 hrs......I hope this helps. my brand new fat boy leaked from there. It was fixed right away no problems since and the only problem I have had with the bike.

Old 03-21-2005, 09:12 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 704 Likes on 337 Posts

Underdog, a bunch of different places you could be leaking from. In the inner primary there is 5 bolts that can allow leakage. The gasket could be gone between the inner and outer primary, you could have a leak between the lower end and the inner primary, you could have bad threads on the discharge bolt, or the gaskets could be gone on the clutch inspection cover or the chain inspection cover.

If it's bad, pull it all apart, reseal every bolt with RTV black with silicone, new gaskets and O rings. If it's only cosmetic, wipe it with a rag every couple of days and ride on.

Quick Reply: Primary oil leak