Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Final Drive belt noise tracking problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 04:51 AM
shovel89
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Final Drive belt noise tracking problem

I am getting a lot of final belt noise. i have made certain the alignment is correct and even tried moving .5 turn or so both directions. The noise is a little more than a squeak, u can see the belt jump a bit as it rolls over the pulley (rear). This pulley is a chrome variety which I have not ran in the past, I have always used the stock pulleys.

When spinning the wheel backwards the belt runs to the inside of the pulley causing it to ride and when the belt seats in the teeth this noise (click-chatter) happens. It is not smooth at seating, it is like it snaps in place thus the noise.

When spinning forward the belt rides to the outside of the pulley
and does the same thing with a bit less noise and less snapping.

When riding I hear (over the exhaust) this same type of click-chatter which varies depending on torque or when coasting.

As I have not owned this bike long I don't have much history. The pulley looks to be new or very close. Bike only has 12,000.

HELP!

Old 08-10-2008, 07:26 AM
Hounds2
Cruiser

if the belt is jumping you have a problem, i would guess that its riding too tight on the outside of the sprocket. it is supposed to ride on the outside when adjusted properly but you can go too far. double check your alignment. just to rule that out as a problem adjust it a little the other way and see if the jump stops. if not i'd say you got a belt or sprocket problem..
scott

Old 08-10-2008, 08:56 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by shovel89
The noise is a little more than a squeak, u can see the belt jump a bit as it rolls over the pulley (rear). This pulley is a chrome variety which I have not ran in the past, I have always used the stock pulleys.

When spinning the wheel backwards the belt runs to the inside of the pulley causing it to ride and when the belt seats in the teeth this noise (click-chatter) happens. It is not smooth at seating, it is like it snaps in place thus the noise.
Being that it is not a stock pulley(chromed)the problem could be that the plating has something to do with the problem.
Maybe to much chrome changed the configuration of the pulley teeth not allowing the belt to fit correctly.
I have seen the chrome flake/peel off before where the belt rides although you did not mention this.
The belt should not "snap" into the grooves.
How does the belt look?Can you see any type of wear?
The only thing I can think of is trying another pulley.

Last edited by 1flhtk4me; 08-10-2008 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Velocity1
Tourer

With the rear wheel in the air, I set the pulley alignment by eye and by sound. When the tension is correct and the belt runs silently spinning the wheel by hand, I snug the tensioner bolts and then progressively torque the axle nut until I get to the manual specified 60-65 lbs. Spin the wheel one last time maks sure the adjustment didn't change while torquing the nut. Also I make sure the wheel is on the ground before I begin the torque procedure of the nut. Check the alignment and listen for tracking chatter, check the belt play then take it off the jack. Install the cotter pin and ride. Just my personal way of doing it that works for me fwiw....

Old 08-11-2008, 01:12 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Try checking the belt tension adjustment with your weight on the bike.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:23 PM
FXRFrenchy
Stage IV
Default Chrome pulleys

Alignment can cause noise problems but my experiance with chrome pulleys has always been noise. If they could chrome them without chroming the teeth I don't believe it would be a problem.