Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Bleeding the clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 05:55 AM
badbag
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll check it out...Thx

Originally Posted by hogdoctor
not necessarily.. the clutch needs to be spinning to properly un-stick itself and fling off the excess oil... Pull the derby off and look. If you call HD back ask them for a spec for pressure plate travel with this clutch, and measure the travel you're getting.

Hogdoc

Old 09-10-2008, 11:55 AM
badbag
Tourer

Well I don't feel so bad now. I took the bike into the Harley Dealership and they are also having a hard time getting it bled. I'll let you know what they come up with......

Old 09-11-2008, 09:59 AM
badbag
Tourer

Paul from Native Baggers came down last night and fixed the bleed issue in 15 minutes!! He's quite the show off!!

It ended up being the mechanical arm that moves back and forth in the reservoir-It wasn't pulling back far enough past the holes where the fluid gets pushed through!!! Now I can get the bike in for the Dyno tune (Scheduled for next Tuesday) We're hoping for 115-120 HP!!

Old 09-11-2008, 10:30 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Patrick: It's great seeing you online again! You helped me out a number of times way back on the old Harley mailing list and it's great to know your knowledge and expertise has found its way here.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:13 PM
medi13
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hy BadBag, finally how you resolve the bleeding problem?
I have the same problem and I can't manage to resolve it. I try 5 times to bleed the clutch sistem but no chance.
Finally I fill the line from the reservoir to secondary clutch actuator, I conect the line to reservoir, I fiil up the reservoir to the level ( even I pull out the master cyllinder to check it, it's ok) and after that I tried to make pressure but nothing.
How you resolve the problem?

Old 07-26-2009, 08:04 AM
hogdoctor
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default clutch bleeding

If you have a rubber line, you can pinch it off somewhere and see what happens at the master cylinder. If it feels solid, then you have a problem in your slave cylinder. If it still doesn't pump up, then the problem is in your master cylinder.

Another trick I've found helpful is to reverse bleed the system, forcing fluid into the bleeder nipple at the slave will push air bubbles up to the master cylinder more easily than trying to push them down.

Patrick

Old 07-26-2009, 08:51 AM
medi13
Stage III

Hi Patrick.
I tried to fill the line from bottom to the reservoir but I cant, the liquid don't want to pas from master cylinder in reservoir , so that I dissconect the line from reservoir and I fill it from top to actuator ( sleeve cylinder ) and after that I putt it back to the reservoir, I putt DOT 5 in reservoir and I tried first to bleed the banjo bolt ( like it said in maintenance manual ), but nothing.
I dissconect the line from reservoir and I checked again if the fluid come out from the master cylinder when I push the clutch lever , nothig.
Ooo, a friend off my friend made to resolve the problem but I tried to bleed and I loose the pressure( he dont tell me what he made untill now ).
Now I must to wait until he come back to look again at my motorcycle.\
The problem is that I don't understand where is the problem.
In my opinion( I think....., I dont know....it's a supposition off mine )when I putt the master cylinder back in his place it's possible to retain air beetwen the sealings .
I don't now what to belive....
Anyway, thanks for tips.
Sorry for my english, it's not so good.
I'm from Romania , and in Octomber 2008 I bought an Harley V road from USA.
My name is Dan
I will wait until my friends friend come back to resolve the problem.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:58 AM
medi13
Stage III

Hello Patrick, if you read this, I want to say that finally I resolve the problem, nothing complicated but if you don't know some data about clutch you can't manage to resolve the problem.
Now everithing is OK.
Thanks for your help.
Dan