Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

03 Roadking Classic shift pawl broken

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 05:50 PM
cocoaroading
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Roadking Classic shift pawl broken

While returning from Biketoberfest, the shifter pawl return spring broke while shifting into gear from a stop. As I pulled just about the entire bike apart, I discovered a "LOT" of metal shaving in the primary. I later found the service which was the alternator rotor. The rotor splines which slide onto the main driveshaft has sheard completely off and the shaft extension was trying to maching itself thru the rotor. Right now, i am planning on replacing the inner primary bearing and seal. I looked at the clutch hub and could not see any evidence of metal getting in. Most of the metal shaving stuck to the magnets on the rotor. I pulled the gearset out and retrieved the broken spring. I carefully inspected the gears and have not detected any damage. I did see some wear on the shift forks though. Anyone experience a similiar damage and if so, what do you recommend I do in addition to what I have already done?

Old 11-04-2008, 03:15 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I would replace the bearing & seals on the motor sprocket/shaft assembly while you are in there. Be sure to write down the correct orientation of the shaft seal. When you install the bearing be sure to wiggle the shaft up and down to see if amy oil squeezes out around the bearing which would indicate an out of tolerance case (I doubt it but be sure to check since you are there). Also check the surface finish on the shafts and all parts and the condition of the shaft splines. Any scored parts need to be replaced as well. I would replace any bushings as well as they are not real expensive. Check to see that the new stator is a welded unit. Some of the parts coming out now have screws holding the stator assembly together. If you have one of those take it back and get a welded assembly as the ones with screws have a history of the screws backing out and doing all kinds of nasty things in your primary. If there are steel spring spacers on your compensator you may want to price those and put new ones if they are not too expensive.

Cheap ATF in a squirt bottle makes a good cleaner for the clutch pack as well. Make sure you wash it down and get all the gremlins out. Also, did you label the position of the shift forks? They have to go back in the same position as they were in due to the wear. If they look overworn take them into your indy or dealer and have their trans mechanic eyeball them. While in the trans check the condition of the shift drum as well.

One more thing: When installing bearings, gears & bushings and reinstalling the trans I recommend using an assembly lubricant. Be sure to look for any oil feed holes in the case where the bearing assembly sits and be sure not to cover them with the retaining snap rings.

Sounds like you are having fun....

Last edited by KBFXDLI; 11-04-2008 at 03:23 PM.