Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

02 sportster shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 11:39 PM
Jklidy
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 02 sportster shifting problems

I just bought an 02 sportster, I really know nothing about the innerworkings of the transmission. The service manual is on order but this problem is really starting to get at me. The clutch feels good, by this I mean that it is not hard to get into first gear and it dosent try to creep forward with the clutch engaged and the shifter in first. The problem starts when I start moving. The shift from first to second has a long throw of the shift lever associated with it, which is understandable beings how I have to move through the neutral position. Now into third it seems that the same extreme movement is required. Not only that but when Im in gears 3-5 and maintaining a low to midrange rpm it will occasionally slip out of the gear and into a neutral position with no clutch input or inadvertant shift lever movement. Lastly, when downshifting it is really a 50/50 chance weather or not it will "catch" the lower gear when the clutch is released following a shift lever movement. If I have to make an emergency stop from fourth gear meaning engage the clutch and hit the brakes, it is literally going to take me 15 minutes of hitting the shift lever and rolling back and fourth to get back down to the neutral postion.

Is this a major problem, or a simple adjustment?

Please help

Old 02-07-2009, 08:25 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I would classify this as a major problem. Sounds like you have a shifter shaft/drum/fork issue. There was a 2005 XL service manual here if you want to download it and take a look at the trans assembly. Not sure if yours is the same.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/h952ae

Old 02-08-2009, 10:19 AM
OrdinaryJoe
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi -

Have you tried a couple of simple tests ?

1. try to shift up and down (except 1st - second) without de-clutching, if you know how. If you can shift neatly this will tell you that you might have a clutch release issue or a dodgy bearing somewhere in the release system.
2. when in gear with a warm engin give the bike as mich gas as possible and see if there is any clutch slippage at some point. This will tell you if the clutch discs are shot, or if the clutch cable is stiff (this happeled to me once : I thought I would have to change my clutch but ended up greasing a cable).
3. Get another experienced rider to try the bike out, both from cold and fully warmed up. Do they get the same problems ?

I get the occasional slippage from 2nd to neutral (about once every 2 months, regardless of the bike), but this is rare. I tend to put it down to very cold fingers when I finally get to work.