Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Tranny Noise Coasting in First

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 11:24 AM
HardyHarHarley
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tranny Noise Coasting in First

I am seeking confirmation of what I was just told by my HD service advisor. Symptoms are: while coasting in first, with clutch level pulled in, a whinning, squeeking, buzzing type noise comes from the tranny.

As soon as I shift to second, the noise goes away. This did not start all at once, it came on gradually over a span of a few days. It became really noticeable yesterday at the end of a ride going between several shop signs with no road noise, etc.

I was told by the service advisor the noise is typical of the six-speed tranny; that first and fifth gears are straight cut, whereas all other gears are helical cut. He said the sound I am hearing is normal and not to worry about it.

This is my first Harley so am not accustomed to their quirks.

Comments??

Jim

Old 05-13-2009, 11:39 AM
Zacharia_11
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HardyHarHarley
I am seeking confirmation of what I was just told by my HD service advisor. Symptoms are: while coasting in first, with clutch level pulled in, a whinning, squeeking, buzzing type noise comes from the tranny.

As soon as I shift to second, the noise goes away. This did not start all at once, it came on gradually over a span of a few days. It became really noticeable yesterday at the end of a ride going between several shop signs with no road noise, etc.

I was told by the service advisor the noise is typical of the six-speed tranny; that first and fifth gears are straight cut, whereas all other gears are helical cut. He said the sound I am hearing is normal and not to worry about it.

This is my first Harley so am not accustomed to their quirks.

Comments??

Jim
Confirmed. 2008 Softail.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:02 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's acutally the clutch plates making the noise when coasting if first gear and clutch in but WTF do I know?
Ron

Old 05-13-2009, 05:21 PM
Zacharia_11
Road Master

Originally Posted by rbabos
It's acutally the clutch plates making the noise when coasting if first gear and clutch in but WTF do I know?
Ron
Interesting, mine does make a whine and understand, perhaps misunderstand, that this is due to the 1st and 5th gears being straight cut in the 6 speed transmissions while all the other gears are helical. The straight cut gears add noise but a synthetic oil should help lessen the noise.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:54 PM
rbabos
Banned

Yes they do whine but in this case with the clutch in there is no load on them to make the typical gear whine. The sound I'm referring to is only with clutch pulled in and in first gear coasting with quicker than normal speed for that gear. The whine actually stops if you let the clutch out and put the load back on the trans. Hard to describe but it's more like a quiet turbine whine than straight gear back out of your driveway with a standard sound.
Ron

Old 05-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Zacharia_11
Road Master

Thanks rbabos, so back to the OP's question before I gave out my confirmation

Is this sound typical and nothing to get worked up over, or do the clutch plates need some sort of adjusting?

Old 05-13-2009, 07:18 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Similar problem, never could find an answer: Rolling to a stop, pull in clutch at low speed, get a whirrrr until bike is stopped. Happens randomly, not every day, more often when cold, but also when warm. Kick into neutral after stop, no sound. Clutch, primary chain, and belt checked and in adjustment. Primary and trans changed to synthetic, no difference. Does not effect anything else...clutch and trans work perfectly. 2000 Softail, 5 speed.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:56 PM
rbabos
Banned

Originally Posted by Zacharia_11
Thanks rbabos, so back to the OP's question before I gave out my confirmation

Is this sound typical and nothing to get worked up over, or do the clutch plates need some sort of adjusting?
Nothing to worry about from what I can tell. I don't know the exact source of the noise but suspect it has something to do with oil rolling over the groove in the fiber discs turning them into some kind of musical instrument. This, to me makes it harmless. Mine will do it everytime I shift into first sooner than I should and coast longer than normal.
Ron

Old 05-14-2009, 08:04 AM
HardyHarHarley
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found the best method to use to hear the noise I refer to, is to run the mc up in first gear to a pretty good clip; then pull in the clutch. Once the engine slows to idle, the noise can be heard without much of a problem.

Jim

Old 05-14-2009, 08:11 AM
Zacharia_11
Road Master

Jim, I have heard both noises rbabos describes on my bike, and never worried about either. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Quick Reply: Tranny Noise Coasting in First