Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Tranny main shaft oil leak?? Little long

Old 06-27-2009, 06:20 AM
siggybrain
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny main shaft oil leak?? Little long

Ok here is the problem. The inner bearing race for the primary on the tranny main shaft walked its way into the oil seal twice, this last month.

Bike is a 07 ultra classic with 103". 30 tooth front engine sprocket (no front compensator) and a Variable Pressure clutch where placed on bike maybe 1-2 months ago. Bike has 23000 miles, no problems prior. When this happened I had been riding the bike pretty hard on some back roads. Came home noticed a small oil drip. Later that week I took it apart, brought the bike to the local HD dealer to have them pull the inner bearing race off the main shaft since you need a special tool. They looked at me weird and asked me what I did. The bearing race was into the oil seal which made it fail, I hadn't noticed.

After an hour with a few other tools/heat gun he was able to get the race off the main shaft, pressed new race on. I then bolted bike back together at home. All finished right? Next day I went for a ride, rode a little hard again no problems. Went for a 1200 mile that next weekend, (The Swiss 500 Mile if your wondering) 200 miles into it it started leaking again. Finally made it back and tore it apart just hoping I messed up the seal when I installed it. Nope the bearing race walked it self back into the oil seal again. Remember this race is pressed onto the main shaft not a loose fit where it wan walk around.

I'm at a lose... This time I ordered the tools from Georges Garage so I could do it all myself, with the manual. I used lock tight 171 for bearing races and pressed new race into main shaft hoping this will stop the race from walking into the tranny. I also replaced the Primary bearing thinking it may have been worn and causing the race to move. When i finished up I just reinstalled the clutch with a SE pressure plate only and left off the VP clutch plate thinking that could have caused it???
Asking around no one has heard of this problem happening before. Any thoughts? Main shaft has no play in it that i can tell. Something is loose and flexing enough to cause the race to walk into the tranny but i can figure it out.
No problems this last few day of having it back together, fingers crossed.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:42 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well without looking at the bearing, I'd say the bearing itself was the problem. Could be rough generating heat on the sleeve causing it to expand enough to lose the press fit. The angular load from the shaft in slight deflection forced it to spin off in one direction. Keep in mind with rapid heat build up a thin section race expands quite a bit. Can't find a listing for loctite 171, but my first choice for this task would be #680. If it happens again, I'd mike the shaft and id of sleeve to see if it falls within the correct interference fit. Most likely is, but with two failures no stone can be left unturned.
Ron

Old 06-27-2009, 02:25 PM
siggybrain
Intermediate

Sorry I used #271 lock tight. Wrote the wrong number. Thats what I've been thinking the bearing was going out. Like I said no problem for over 23K miles so pretty sure shaft and race are with in specs. New bearing has been installed so hoping that is it.

Also thinking really hard about doing the 49t clutch basket and SE compensator to replace the 30T front sprocket to help with some of the loads in the primary. I'll get a few less RPMs when I cruising at 80mph.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:03 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by siggybrain
Sorry I used #271 lock tight. Wrote the wrong number. Thats what I've been thinking the bearing was going out. Like I said no problem for over 23K miles so pretty sure shaft and race are with in specs. New bearing has been installed so hoping that is it.

Also thinking really hard about doing the 49t clutch basket and SE compensator to replace the 30T front sprocket to help with some of the loads in the primary. I'll get a few less RPMs when I cruising at 80mph.
Overall, besides more cruise rpm, how does the driveline feel for pulsing compared to the stock comp?
Ron

Old 06-28-2009, 07:39 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought about removing that race for good and replacing it with the Baker Hi-Torque kit? Had the same problem with that inner race walking on my Evo. Had that damn race removed and installed the Baker Hi-Torque bearing and seal. Problem solved.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:40 AM
418S
Elite HDF Member

borrowed from another forum ........

high torque bearing kit

The 34091-85 inner bearing race has been used on Big Twins since 1985. The inner primary bearing rides on this race. By design, this race press-fits onto the transmission mainshaft. This system works fi ne for stock engines. 100 HP+ engines will make this bearing walk on the mainshaft. If it walks inboard, it will damage the maindrive gear seal and cause a transmission oil leak. If it walks outboard, it will cause a primary oil leak. Our high torque bearing kit eliminates this condition. Kit includes a precision honed bearing and seal.

High Torque Bearing Kit p/n 189-56

Old 06-28-2009, 11:25 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 418S
borrowed from another forum ........

high torque bearing kit

The 34091-85 inner bearing race has been used on Big Twins since 1985. The inner primary bearing rides on this race. By design, this race press-fits onto the transmission mainshaft. This system works fi ne for stock engines. 100 HP+ engines will make this bearing walk on the mainshaft. If it walks inboard, it will damage the maindrive gear seal and cause a transmission oil leak. If it walks outboard, it will cause a primary oil leak. Our high torque bearing kit eliminates this condition. Kit includes a precision honed bearing and seal.

High Torque Bearing Kit p/n 189-56
Bingo! But make sure you mic the shaft because there is a possibility it is out of tolerance and it would make you crazy to finish the do over and find out the shaft is fubard.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:25 PM
siggybrain
Intermediate

Thanks guys for the input, I'll look into getting that baker bearing installed.

On another note I do have the IDS rear sprocket so I dont feel the engines pulses very much. I do like the RPMs that the bike is at cruising speeds.

Thanks again guys.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:22 PM
lacefieldusaf
6th Gear

I dont think this is your problem but I have also seen the race to appear to have walked in but in reality the whole shaft had moved in because of the bearing in the trapdoor on the rightside failing.