Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Transmission Oil drain plug?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 03:35 PM
TankerUSMC67/70
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Oil drain plug?

Dumb question, exactly where can one find the transmission oil drain plug on a baker six speed transmission? Is it covered up by my two softtail shocks? I 've looked underneath with a flashlight with no results. Is it on the back of the transmission by my exhaust pipes or in the front part which on my CM is covered up with a chrome type mounting plate. Is is it an allen type plug? I'm concerned that I'll have to remove the shocks and other things to locate/drain it.

Thank you in advance for any information concerning this .

Tanker from Maryland

Old 05-04-2005, 10:36 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Default RE: Transmission Oil drain plug?

If it's in the same place as on the 5 speed HD Softail trans. it is right between the two shocks. The only way you could see it is with a mirror unless you could get the bike up really high. The one on the HD is a 5/8 hex with an allen in the middle. You should be able to reach between the shocks and feel the plug.

Regards,

Bill

Old 05-04-2005, 11:52 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

ORIGINAL: billnourse

If it's in the same place as on the 5 speed HD trans. it is right between the two shocks. The only way you could see it is with a mirror unless you could get the bike up really high. The one on the HD is a 5/8 hex with an allen in the middle. You should be able to reach between the shocks and feel the plug.

Regards,

Bill
Drain plug on my 5 speed HD tranny is below the right side cover. Hate it when they change the simple stuff!

Old 05-05-2005, 01:56 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Skip,

I think he is talking about a Softail Trans. Believe it or not, the drain plug is in a different place on the Softail than on the Dyna or Electra Glides.

Regards,

Bill

Old 05-05-2005, 08:54 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The first fluid change on my Softail, I first tried to remove the plug with an allen socket and it felt like it was stripping. So, I broke it loose with a hex socket, then backed it out the rest of the way with the allen socket, since the hex socket wouldn't clear the shocks when it got looser. Say all this to say, be careful just using an allen socket.

Old 05-23-2005, 02:00 PM
TankerUSMC67/70
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

F.Y.I
On a Jims six speed transmission the drain plug is on the right side, right underneath the trap door. One does'nt have to go underneath the bike/transmission to locate it. It has a small inset allen type screw in between the other larger allen screws holding the sideplate/trap door on. Remove this and let drain to empty then fill with about 22/26OZ of your choice of gear oil. I used a 75-145 weight synthetic shock proof extreme gear oil. hopes this helps anyone.