Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Tech & Mechanical Forum > Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.
Sponsored by: Baker Drivetrain

Welcome to HDForums.com!

P

Old 09-06-2009, 01:39 PM
Hang Around
Question 1989 XLH 1200 neutral problem

I have a problem maybe someone can help me with. I have an 89 XLH 1200 that I picked up for nothin but it has a clutch problem. I cant get it to go to neutral. I can see the neutral light flicker each time it goes past neutral. I adjusted the clutch as per the book. But it did not help. All other gears function correctly. Any ideas?
Old 09-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Hang Around

I have similiar problems with neutral. I found if I slip in in neutral before I come to complete stop it goes most of the time. Also if your stopped, try rolling the bike foward and back (say if your at a stoplight and can't get in neutral) and slipping it in neutral while moving. This usually works for me. This is a common problem.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:58 AM
Hang Around
Default found the problem

well, with the help from a friend pulled the clutch out and found the cam follower was broke (cheap pot metal) and one of the springs for the follower got ate. replaced it with a aftermarket follower that is constructed of steel slapped in new springs. Also found the clutch plates were stuck together due to sitting in storage for so long. cleaned em up put her back together with some new gaskets and a couple of new seals and all is well!!!
Old 02-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Hang Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley73 View Post
well, with the help from a friend pulled the clutch out and found the cam follower was broke (cheap pot metal) and one of the springs for the follower got ate. replaced it with a aftermarket follower that is constructed of steel slapped in new springs. Also found the clutch plates were stuck together due to sitting in storage for so long. cleaned em up put her back together with some new gaskets and a couple of new seals and all is well!!!
I've got a 1991 Sporty Hugger 883 that had this problem. The mechanic found all kinds of cam follower pieces broke up in the oil cap. Very lucky the tranny seemed to be fine. He put in new clutch plates, put it back together and it worked great for exactly three rides. I went to pull it out for my fourth ride and it wouldn't go out of first gear. It was flat locked up. Took it back to the mechanic and he has it apart now and said the cam follower (brand new) was broken again. He couldn't see anything wrong in the tranny. Any ideas?
Old 02-21-2010, 03:53 PM

P

Tags
1200, 1989, 1991, 883, 89, 91, clutch, davidson, forums, harley, plates, primary, problems, stuck, xlh