Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Inner Primary Bearing

Old 09-30-2009, 10:13 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Thumbs up Inner Primary Bearing

I did a search awhile back because I was hearing a noise coming from the primary/transmission unit. It was most noticable in neutral, clutch engaged, and went away in gear, clutch disengaged. The results from the search didn't turn up my exact problem but did center on bearing failure.

So I went to my dealer, Zion Harley Davidson, and had two of their techs and the service writer (a most knowledgable man) listen to the noise, and the consensus was the inner primary bearing. I have an extended warranty and I was interested in being pretty sure the work would be covered, as I am on a fixed income and try to avoid unplanned expenses.

Yesterday I dropped the Ultra off to the dealer, and it was returned today, all nice and clean and no bearing noises. The service manager showed me the bearing. It had one roller that was chipped, and another with some pitting. The chipped roller had scored the race down the middle. I've used Syn 3 since the first 1,000 mile service, and the Ultra is serviced every 5,000 miles without fail. I am pretty gentle in riding practice, so I have to think this was an anomaly. The service department says they have seen very few bearing problems in the 07 96 c.i. engine drive train.

The extended warranty coverage was used, with me paying a $50 deductible, and the warranty paying $337 for the work.

I really value these forums for all the information it provides. My turn.

Last edited by goodbirds; 09-30-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:11 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

thats nothing! i opened up my primary, and my IPB impacted itself on the trans output shaft shattering and eating the oil seal, had to weld a clampt to it to get it off... replaced with a baker IPB high torque... much better!

chad doing a bit of welding

the race... nice welding chad!

what is left of the oil seal

i recomend while you ahve it open you check your cam chain, i would sugest an anderson power pulley, as well as a barnet clutch spring... GO FAST!

Old 10-08-2009, 12:06 AM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

Sorry you had such a problem with that bearing. I think I may have detected it soon enough to avoid your problem. I'm not performance minded at all, but your suggestions are valid. But, the work has been completed for over a week now, the noise is gone, and I be a happy rider now.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:08 AM
Phlip96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had a noise coming from the same area (derby cover) and dealer said same thing for the inner primary bearing. Winds up it was the bearing on the tranny side. Noise resonates through the entire shaft. I do wonder however if they ever did get to that since they couldnt provide me with the old bearing upon request.