Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

clutch cable is leaking

Old 01-05-2010, 10:53 PM
StreetBob2008
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch cable is leaking

I recently put braided cables on my bike with 16'' apes. I noticed the other day my new clutch cable has a small nick in the housing near the underside of the bike, exposing a small section of braided wire.. It produces a small leak, and i hate to buy a new set of cables already. Is there anything i could do to keep the cable from leaking...like maybe some silicone caulk?

Old 01-06-2010, 08:53 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetBob2008
I recently put braided cables on my bike with 16'' apes. I noticed the other day my new clutch cable has a small nick in the housing near the underside of the bike, exposing a small section of braided wire.. It produces a small leak, and i hate to buy a new set of cables already. Is there anything i could do to keep the cable from leaking...like maybe some silicone caulk?
Silicone will likely work but it's fuggly. There are some electrical shrink wraps that have an adhesive inside. Clean the oil off completely and this will bond it up, look decent and never leak.
Ron

Old 01-06-2010, 08:58 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Or... if you can get it clean and dry, since it's small, get a touch up bottle of clearcoat , and try that.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:14 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,943 Likes on 1,703 Posts

There is an o-ring where the cable attaches to the transmission side cover. This should keep the transmission fluid from coming back through the cable. The only thing that I imagine would be "leaking" out of a nick in the line would be whatever you used to lube the cable, which shouldn't be enough to be constant. If you have a constant leak then you might want to check the o-ring. In any event, to fix your problem I would get some clear heat shrink tubing and disconnect the cable and slide it over the cable and then shrink it down. Most of the stainless braided cables do or should come with clear protective heat shrink tubing where the cable goes under the frame to protect it.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:38 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
There is an o-ring where the cable attaches to the transmission side cover. This should keep the transmission fluid from coming back through the cable. The only thing that I imagine would be "leaking" out of a nick in the line would be whatever you used to lube the cable, which shouldn't be enough to be constant. If you have a constant leak then you might want to check the o-ring. In any event, to fix your problem I would get some clear heat shrink tubing and disconnect the cable and slide it over the cable and then shrink it down. Most of the stainless braided cables do or should come with clear protective heat shrink tubing where the cable goes under the frame to protect it.
Havn't personally checked this out but isn't the o ring only to seal the cable end fitting to the trans housing? I suspect whatever the oil level is in the gearbox, it will climb up into that level in the cable too. His cable casing must be punctured within that level of oil. Like I said , pure speculation but can't see how an o ring can seal on a braided steel wire.
Ron

Last edited by rbabos; 01-06-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:49 PM
StreetBob2008
Stage III

i was thinking the o-ring only keeps the oil from leaking out the housing itself..where the cable connects to the side cover. But im unsure. i was unaware that transmission oil could escape the gear box and enter the hose. i guess it's possible.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:24 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,943 Likes on 1,703 Posts

I'd check the vent at the tranny top cover first to make sure it's not blocked, then if that's not it, check the o-ring. Check the tranny fluid level to be sure it's where it is supposed to be and not overfilled. You may end up having to replace the cable anyhow.

Last edited by dawg; 01-06-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:33 PM
Sleazyrider78
Stage II
Default Clutch cable leak

I just recently acquired a 2005 xl883 sportster and have come across this issue. I've read the other post on this issue but would still like to hear your thoughts. I'm getting fluid coming out of the barrel adjuster halfway up the frame! The primary fluid level is fine and cable/cable housing still look brand new.. Any thoughts?
I attached a photo of were it's leaking don't know if it will show.
Slings all over the bike while riding and when I'm done and put the kickstand down and get off it drips pretty good for a min. Or two

Attached Thumbnails clutch cable is leaking-image.jpeg  
Old 05-31-2016, 11:46 AM
mdm
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

The vent on top of the transmission is probably plugged. I had the same problem with my wife's FLS, dirt dobber had nested in the vent tube - happened overnight,

Old 06-01-2016, 02:56 AM
Sleazyrider78
Stage II

Thank you mdm , I the transmission vent was actually plugged. With some more searching I was able to find it then called the kid I bought it from and he said "he plugged it because he did not know what it was." Before I called him I unplugged it and it solved the issue . I just called to see if he had any particular reason why he plugged it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: clutch cable is leaking