Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Tech & Mechanical Forum > Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.
Sponsored by: Baker Drivetrain

P

Old 02-03-2010, 06:59 PM
Hang Around
Default Six Speed

Hi all,

I am thinking about modifying the transmission of my 2001 Roadking from a 5 -speed to a six speed. Two questions about that...

1. I saw a Dyna six speed gear set for sale. Will it fit in my transmission case? I think it will, but i'm not sure. Could anyone help me out.

2. Another reason I have opened the transmission is oil leakage. But strangely it's not the seal or gaskets, it's leaking through the main transmission shaft. The part where the clutch pin is coming out. What could be wrong?

I hope some can help. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Michael.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:18 PM
Elite HDF Member

Need more information on the Dyna, what year, is it an original 6 speed from the factory or aftermarket unit.

The transmission mainshaft is hollow, the clutch actuator pushrod passes through it.

Oil usually does not pass through the shaft because it is higher than the level of the oil.

Even if oil were to pass through the shaft, it would leak into the primary, not overboard.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:02 PM
Hang Around
Default same question

I actually have the same (first) question about a 2004 RKC. Can I replace the 5 speed with a six speed?
Old 02-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Hang Around

Hi all,

I am thinking about modifying the transmission of my 2001 Road king from a 5 to a six speed. Two questions about that................
I hope some can help. Thanks
Old 02-03-2010, 10:18 PM
Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIZARD View Post
Hi all,

I am thinking about modifying the transmission of my 2001 Roadking from a 5 -speed to a six speed. Two questions about that...

1. I saw a Dyna six speed gear set for sale. Will it fit in my transmission case? I think it will, but i'm not sure. Could anyone help me out.

2. Another reason I have opened the transmission is oil leakage. But strangely it's not the seal or gaskets, it's leaking through the main transmission shaft. The part where the clutch pin is coming out. What could be wrong?

I hope some can help. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Michael.
1: NO it will not fit, the factory 6 speeds use a completely different case.

2: When you say its leaking out of the main shaft, the only place it can go is to the primary, that wouldnt allow it to leak outside the tranny, so Iam not sure what you mean by its leaking!

So many Harleys, so few bikers!
Old 02-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by arollam View Post
I actually have the same (first) question about a 2004 RKC. Can I replace the 5 speed with a six speed?
You can with either an SE or Baker 6 speed!

So many Harleys, so few bikers!
Old 02-04-2010, 03:08 AM
Hang Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by hog-doc View Post
1: NO it will not fit, the factory 6 speeds use a completely different case.

2: When you say its leaking out of the main shaft, the only place it can go is to the primary, that wouldnt allow it to leak outside the tranny, so Iam not sure what you mean by its leaking!
Oh, yes, I forgot to mention I have a primary beltdrive. Thats is why I can see the leakage. It is coming through the (dry) clutch. When I opened it up, I found it came from within the main shaft.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:52 AM
Road Master

Get in touch with Baker. I visited them at their tent in Daytona looking to do the same on my 06 Ultra. They have gear sets that fit your existing case or a complete unit for most Harleys. If you have the money they have the solution. I did not know that they had so many options. I eventially went with a trade up to a 09 UC. If you are going to Daytona they are usually at Rosesmyers.(sp)
Old 02-04-2010, 04:52 AM

P

Tags
2001, 75110, amsoil, baker, good, harley, hd, leaking, main, mainshaft, roadking, run, shaft, speed, transmission, transmissions