Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 12:25 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

ORIGINAL: CT_Duke Harley told them to change
the Trany fluid to a heavier grade and tell me to ride it for a while
and it would get better.

Ron

Aren't the new 6-speeds suppose to use a specific oil?

I know how to quite it down,change oil to 140 wt. with a speicial additive called sawdust!

Hope they find a fix.

Old 08-05-2006, 08:18 PM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts

ORIGINAL: biggerjose

Duke;
The 6 speed has to run through an extra shaft. It is not turning at a 1 to 1 when in top gear. The people that sell you this stuff never warn you about what is about to come. Once they get your money it's "Get outta' here buddie" The older 4 speeds don't make that whinning sound and most 5 speeds are pretty quiet. You better off re-gearing your bike and forgetting the over drive. If you know someone that has a quiet 6 speed, please let me know. The best thing that I can suggest is to put straight pipes on it or build a bigger engine so you can stay out in front of all your buddies and far enough so they cant hear it. Jozer
Yea Me!

I have a 06 Low Rider and don't have any outrageous whine. Never had except for the 500 miles I tried to run Syn 3. I LOVE MY 6 SPEED.

Old 08-05-2006, 10:26 PM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: biggerjose

Duke;
The 6 speed has to run through an extra shaft. It is not turning at a 1 to 1 when in top gear. The people that sell you this stuff never warn you about what is about to come. Once they get your money it's "Get outta' here buddie" The older 4 speeds don't make that whinning sound and most 5 speeds are pretty quiet. You better off re-gearing your bike and forgetting the over drive. If you know someone that has a quiet 6 speed, please let me know. The best thing that I can suggest is to put straight pipes on it or build a bigger engine so you can stay out in front of all your buddies and far enough so they cant hear it. Jozer
Harleys OE six speed is a 1-1 in 6th. It is not an overdrive and only has an input and output shaft. The P&A Screamin Eagle 6 sped is an overdrive.

Old 08-05-2006, 10:37 PM
PoleCat
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't say I'm terribly surprised . . .

Disappointed? . . . yes.

Old 08-05-2006, 11:05 PM
WhiteKnuckle
Cruiser

Don't sweat it. There's nothing wrong, the lowers just reflect all the noise. On any bike but the Ultra, you probably wouldn't give it a second thought; with an Ultra, take off the lowers and the noise pretty much goes away. Or put on aftermarket pipes and you won't hear it.

I remember a lot of people complaining about a clunky transmission on Heritage Classics - but if you took the windshield off, the clunk went away. The problem wasn't the tranny, it was just a sound that resonated through the windshield.

Old 08-05-2006, 11:21 PM
RockyRoad
Intermediate

These bikes are thoroughly tested and engineered. Don't be afraid to ride them right out of the box. We'll stand behind them if there is a problem.

JB.

Old 08-06-2006, 12:43 AM
GOBB
Intermediate

I just bought a 07 Road King and the trans was so noisy in 5th that I didn't dare drive it back to the dealer. It sounded like it was trying to run in two gears at the same time.

Old 08-06-2006, 02:33 AM
biggerjose
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll B Dog Gone..
I was unaware that it didn't have the extra shaft..I ride older stuff (58 Pan/Shovel) and tried a 5 speed for about a week and didn't care for it..To me they too were Clunky. Took it out and re-installed the 4 speed with a 2.60 1st gear as the only reason I tried the 5 speed was for the lower 1st gear.....(Way toooo much shiftin') (I have a 32 X 61 rear belt which is 1.90 to 1 and 80MPH is a fast idle.)What I did was gear the crap out of the final drive to get the fast cruise as I spend very little time in any gear but top gear. With a Stroker Pan/Shovel it has plenty as soon as you get rolling but the 4 speed that I originally had had a 2.44 to 1 1st. gear. I didn't mean to speak out of turn and as I get older I learn more each day. (I'm 68) You might think I'm nutz but I have been thinking about a 3 speed.
What I really like about my old Piece is that I know every single nut and bolt on it..It has only seen a motorcycle shop twice in the last 30 years..(With only 2 truck rides..Has broken on me but it was all my fault. Too small of a carb for the Stroker and had to do a over-night fix in Salt Lake City. But I rode it even in critical condition from Mesquite Nevada) and has in excess of 275.000 miles on it..Blew a Head gasket in Hollister {For the 50th} and got a tow from the camground to town and fixed it at the curb in 1 hour..Still gives even the 95"Twin Cam's a fit..So much fun to ride..Looks like crap but goez like hell. Jozer

Old 08-06-2006, 03:18 PM
HotRod
Advanced

I just picked up my '07 Deluxe Friday night. I immediatly noticed a whining noise in 5th gear. Every other gear sounds fine though. I'm going to take her out today with and without the windshield and see if that makes any difference. I now have 250 miles on it and the noise is still there. I'm taking it back to the dealership on Monday. Hopefully it's nothing that will require them to keep my bike forever! I'll let ya'll know if I get any "breaking news" from them.

Old 08-13-2006, 10:15 PM
Broken Leg Rider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea. And if I took my front forks off, they wouldn't clack either.

I am looking here at hundreds of posts complaining about "problem with my Harley." It really makes me wonder.

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!