Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 11:56 PM
Travler
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

Reckon it's a good thing I can't hear good. I've got a 07 Standard & really like the six speed. I don't hear all these noises or whining. You want to hear a whining tranny... ride a Royal Star Venture! Hope y'all get it worked out to your satifaction..

Travler [sm=smiley16.gif]

Old 08-15-2006, 07:18 AM
Capt.Bob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the same problem on my 07 Ultra. Everybody seems to think you will have to live with it. I don't think I will. Mine has 328 miles on it and it seems to be getting worse or I am more tuned in to it. Whatever the case. It is not satifactory the way it is now. I don't want to take the lowers off so I can't hear it. That is one of the reasons I bought the Ultra was for the lowers. I ride no matter what the weather is and that means cold or hot, rain or shine and the lowers help in that regard. I also think the lowers help with engine cooling. Mine is going back to the dealer and they can keep it till they fix it. If they can't then they can sell it. I have a bike that is not so offensive to ride. JMHO
http://bobbyhill.home.att.net

Old 08-15-2006, 01:36 PM
kv4eg
Intermediate

...I just bought an '07 Road King Standard - 5th gear sounds like someone playing "Wipeout" on the case with a couple of hammers. Dealer is supposed to pick it up today and check it out. I also called Harley customer service - (414) 343-4056. The girl I talked to played dumb until I mentioned that a lot of people on the net are complaining about the same problem, at which time she promptly changed her tune to "it's supposed to sound like that". Maybe if enough people complain the so-called "Motor Company" will do something about it.

Old 08-15-2006, 07:47 PM
Capt.Bob
Tourer

I could not stand it any longer. I loaded my 07 FF Ultra on a trailer and took it to the dealer. I told him about the noise in 5th gear and a loud bang every time I started the bike. He let a tech take it for a ride and the tech said he had never heard a noise like it. He said there was something not right. They told me the loud bang was normal and not to worry about it. They keeped my bike and said they would find out what was wrong with 5th gear. I told them that if they said that that noise was normal to just put the bike on the floor for sale. I told them to keep it as long as it takes. I have two other bikes I can ride. We will see.
http://bobbyhill.home.att.net

Old 08-16-2006, 12:23 AM
HotRod
Advanced

Let me know what they find out. Mine hasn't gotten any worse and I have just over 700 miles on it. Hopefully after I get my 1k it'll quite down a little. I haven't noticed any loud noise when I start it. I'll be interested to hear what they find wrong with it!

Old 08-16-2006, 03:24 AM
CT_Duke
Intermediate

Been watching the remarks to my posting. Lots of mixed opinions! only the Touring models have the tranny noise problem. Other models like the softtails have the B engine (check the specs) and there is some difference in the trannies as well. I've gotten emails from others who have Road Kings with the same problem and we are not talking just a whine. I'll be damned if I will remove parts or change pipes to cover up a noise (I would do it if that is what I want but not to satisfy HD). That is like turning your car's stereo full blast and removing the windshield just to mask a noise, I don't think so!! Besides it becomes a matter of principle. One guy wrote me that the dealer agreed to take back his ultra with 1000 miles and let him pick another bike. I have 500 with no improvement and will be talking to the dealer and HD this week to do the same. there is always the Lemon Laws to fall back on. I bought this because I've always had Harleys and will alway have one, just not this one.

Hey Rocky Road,
You said "These bikes are thoroughly tested and engineered. Don't be afraid to ride them right out of the box. We'll stand behind them if there is a problem." Are you a dealer or HD? This is not a dealer issue, it belongs solidly in HD's lap. As I understand it they posted a Tech Tip to dealers about the problem BEFORE the 07's were released for sale. I would say they need to stand up face the problem that is snowballing in their direction!

Old 08-16-2006, 04:19 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Capt.Bob and CT_Duke, That "Bang" that you are referring to is called "Starter Knock", and is is inherent to the requirement of the ECM to get the motor up to speed and running quickly.... The sound you are hearing is the compensator loading and unloading rather quickly.... More noticeable on the Touring bikes, as the Primary is designed a bit closer than the Softails/Dynas.....

Additionally, CT.... Why don't you tell me the Tech Tip number, 'cause as far back as I can tell or go, there is no such "Advice" or recommendation about the tranny whine..... That is a design characteristic that is inherent to Straight cut/Spur gears, and there are NO differences in the Softail transmission as compared to the Dyna or Touring Transmission internals......

Old 08-16-2006, 11:01 PM
kv4eg
Intermediate

What about the clattering / rattling in 5th gear on the touring models? Could that be related to the fact that the transmission is mated to a rubber mounted engine instead of one with a balanced crankshaft? It seems to me that the power transfer to the transmission via the primary would not be as smooth as from the "B" engine and that 5th gear - being a straight / spur gear - well, you get the picture.

ORIGINAL: Shovelhead Bob

Capt.Bob and CT_Duke, That "Bang" that you are referring to is called "Starter Knock", and is is inherent to the requirement of the ECM to get the motor up to speed and running quickly.... The sound you are hearing is the compensator loading and unloading rather quickly.... More noticeable on the Touring bikes, as the Primary is designed a bit closer than the Softails/Dynas.....

Additionally, CT.... Why don't you tell me the Tech Tip number, 'cause as far back as I can tell or go, there is no such "Advice" or recommendation about the tranny whine..... That is a design characteristic that is inherent to Straight cut/Spur gears, and there are NO differences in the Softail transmission as compared to the Dyna or Touring Transmission internals......

Old 08-17-2006, 12:56 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

ORIGINAL: kv4eg
Maybe if enough people complain the so-called "Motor Company" will do something about it.
Yeah...If frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their ***......

Don't hold your breath....I've got thirteen years worth of MoCo stories....And I'm certain there are many that can trump me.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:17 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: kv4eg

What about the clattering / rattling in 5th gear on the touring models? Could that be related to the fact that the transmission is mated to a rubber mounted engine instead of one with a balanced crankshaft? It seems to me that the power transfer to the transmission via the primary would not be as smooth as from the "B" engine and that 5th gear - being a straight / spur gear - well, you get the picture.
There are 3 rubber "Isolators" to hinder vibration to the chassis (1 front, 2 at swingarm), and 2 alloy stabilizer links that are firmly attached to motor/chassis (Front and top of motor)

On the "B" models, you will hear the counterbalancers over the 1st and 5th gear whine.....

Take out the counter balancers and you will hear it definitively, along with picking up your fillings, entrails and whatever else gets rattled loose......

You hear it on all of the Cruise Drive transmissions...... Softail, Dyna (Rubber Mounted) and of course the Touring.....

The Touring is more pronounced due to chassis configuration, more compacted primary housing and Body Harmonics......

Hell, on the 06's and back, you could hear 1st and 4th whining, but people just got used to it .....

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!