Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Starter / Solenoid Clicks Won't Turn over

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:28 AM
nautiq544
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter / Solenoid Clicks Won't Turn over

I have and early Evo, with the starter solenoid over the primary. When I try to start the bike, either the solenoid or the starter clicks once, firmly, but doesn't turn the bike over. I can compression start the bike (Push start). But is something stuck in the starter I suppose Its like something is jammed.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:34 AM
bdavis385
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm assuming that you have checked the battery and connections, if not that is a good place to begin. It could be, that the solenoid is bad.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:13 PM
OldPat
Advanced

Pull the end cover off. Push the plunger in, see what happens. That makes the main connection from the 12V input connection across to the starter winding terminal. You might get some sparks and hot metal bits shooting around if the contacts are dirty, corroded, or worn. Wear a glove and safety glasses and obviously double check that it's in neutral.

Inspect the copper disk and contacts for pitting.

Oh, and what bdavis said too. Do that first. Do you have a voltmeter?

If it's a Nippon-Denso starter you ought to be able to find all the parts you need to fix it at an auto electric shop or maybe a real good parts store. I think it's just 3 parts. The two contacts and the plunger.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:53 AM
EPandJC
Stage III

I have a 96 sportster 1200 and I had noticed previously when starting it would click at the starter but would crank the engine and fire up. Now all I get when trying to start it is continuous clicking from the starter as long as I'm holding the starter switch. Almost sounds like the starter is trying to turn but maybe doesn't have enough voltage to crank the engine I've checked the basics. Wondering if it could be the voltage regulator not giving enough voltage or bad starter. Any help would be appreciated

Old 03-12-2020, 06:31 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

Delete - wrong thread

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 03-12-2020 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:17 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by EPandJC
I have a 96 sportster 1200 and I had noticed previously when starting it would click at the starter but would crank the engine and fire up. Now all I get when trying to start it is continuous clicking from the starter as long as I'm holding the starter switch. Almost sounds like the starter is trying to turn but maybe doesn't have enough voltage to crank the engine I've checked the basics. Wondering if it could be the voltage regulator not giving enough voltage or bad starter. Any help would be appreciated
Voltage regulator is only in the charging system not the starting system. Until that engine starts the VR doesn't do anything. Battery is where it's at when starting, have you done voltage drop test when cranking it over? How are the hots and grounds on both ends looking? Batt terminals tight ( Service manual calls for 60 in/lbs torque)? Before you buy a starter, if you remove it, bench test it. And you should start a new thread not hijack someone else's thread.

Old 03-13-2020, 06:25 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,916 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Originally Posted by Zanthamos
Voltage regulator is only in the charging system not the starting system. Until that engine starts the VR doesn't do anything. Battery is where it's at when starting, have you done voltage drop test when cranking it over? How are the hots and grounds on both ends looking? Batt terminals tight ( Service manual calls for 60 in/lbs torque)? Before you buy a starter, if you remove it, bench test it. And you should start a new thread not hijack someone else's thread.

I think he fixed it 6 years ago, the op 10 years ago.

Old 03-13-2020, 05:27 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by Zanthamos
VAnd you should start a new thread not hijack someone else's thread.
He hijacked iot 4 years ago, 6 years after the first thread. So not sure it is really a hijack. I am a proponent off adding to a thread with information already in it, instead of starting over from scratch, if the threads are similar.

Its to bad people don't reply and let everyone know what the solutiuon was. This threads live forever. I have found many when googling.

Myself I would have put a 10 amp charger on it or battery pack to see if sound changed, if it did probably battery or connection. Normally I would would have then jumpered the solenoid. But I read here evos you can push in, so that is what I would have done that.

Old 03-13-2020, 05:29 PM
Tonebender
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,335 Likes on 3,310 Posts

The battery is dead by now.

The following users liked this post:
robarosa (03-16-2020)
Old 03-15-2020, 09:32 PM
IBE
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,473 Likes on 1,742 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonebender