Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Tech & Mechanical Forum > Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.
Sponsored by: Baker Drivetrain

P

Old 04-20-2010, 11:49 PM
Hang Around
Default 4 speed kickstart conversion

Looking into buying a Super Glide but have always wanted a 4 speed transmission with a kick start. Kits are available to convert the trans to have a kickstart but I can't find anything on how to install it.
Has anyone ever done this and how hard would it be to DIY?
Old 04-21-2010, 03:47 PM
One Of The Regulars

What kind of super glide are you looking at? A shovelhead would have the 4 speed and a kicker. We need more info.....

Bob
Old 04-22-2010, 10:47 PM
Hang Around

It's a 1980 FXE. It is not the only electric start only FXE I've ever seen but I am more interested in the the kick than electric start.
A few companies sell a kit to convert these 4 speeds to have a kick start and I was wondering if anyone had ever opted to do this and what is involved? My "how hard can it be" strategy is not fool proof so I am looking for any insight I can get on the subject.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:22 AM
One Of The Regulars

I'm not positive, but I think all 4 speed mainshafts are the same. If I'm wrong somebody tell me. So it would just be a matter of putting the kicker gear on the shaft and replacing the kicker cover, basically. You might have an issue with exhaust depending on what pipes are on it. JMHO, YMMV, etc.

Bob
Old 04-24-2010, 07:36 AM
Hang Around

Greybeard is right, it should take just a kicker kit, and a service manual is probably the only place to find how to install it, ive put kickers on 72' and 78s with no problem.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:59 AM
Hang Around

OK. I really just wanted to make sure that this was all possible without taking the entire trans apart and making a mess out of it.
Thank you for all of your help.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:28 PM
Road Warrior

It's a gravy job The 4 speeds had three different main shaft lengths in their days but the right end of these main shafts are the same The kicker kits can be installed on any length main shaft The throw out bearing is a different story I prefer the old style one piece unit Now it's the three piece wafer style with a clip and an oil slinger Have fun
Old 04-25-2010, 12:28 PM

P