Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Barnett Carbon Fiber Vs. Kevlar?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 08:09 AM
Sinn
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Barnett Carbon Fiber Vs. Kevlar?

Hi All

I am rebuilding the clutch on my 2000 Electrglide Clasic Bagger. I have been doing some research on clutch rebuild kits for the last few days. I was at the local Harley Dealer the other day and was infromed that Harley and Screaming Eagle Does not offer a rebuild kit. So after a little research, I decided to go with the Barnett Extra plate rebuild kit. My question is which is better Kevlar plates or Carbon fiber plates? I haven't bought anything yet. I figured that I would get some feed back before purchase

Thanks
Sinn

Old 04-23-2010, 10:02 AM
UnSafe
6th Gear

Unable to find a reference that distinguished one being better than the other, I called Barnett and was told that the Kevlar surfaces lasted longer and gripped better. Call them to see if it's the right choice for your app- (805) 642-9435. Soon after, I stumbled across an ebay auction for the Barnett Kevlar extra plate kit from the Shreveport, LA HD dealer and got it for $99. too good to pass up for my 95" build.

If you're adding power and are concerned about slippage, the Barnett heavy duty spring is relatively cheap and since you have it dissasembled anyway.... But remember that it's going to result in a stiffer pull. I added the White Bros/ Burly Easy Pull extension. Also from ebay, for $11. Longer pull, but lighter than stock, even with the heavier spring.

Best of luck with your choice and don't forget to check your chain tension while you're in there and use a new primary gasket. Murphy is out there and will penalize you for failing to pay for an overpriced gasket by leaving you with an incurable seep onto the wrinkle paint along the topside and drip on the floor.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Sinn
Stage IV

Hey Unsafe

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate it greatly. I will take your advice on the spring. I saw a similar extra plate kit on ebay. Did you purchase the one with the tempered steel and friction plates? or the one with just the friciton plates? Did you reuse the existing harley steel clutch plates?

Old 04-23-2010, 08:48 PM
UnSafe
6th Gear

I bought the kit with the friction plates and steel clutch rings/ plates. Barnett PN 307-30-10013(K). Heavy duty spring PN 502-00-01008.
Try http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Easy-...item20b02e3a6b for the Easy Pull clutch arm.