Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Softail clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 09:35 PM
jtmurph00
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softail clutch problems

Ok so this is gonna be a long explanation but Im completely lost as to what the problem might be with my clutch. Bike is a 99 softail w/ 35,000 miles, new Baker DD6 transmission installed about 1500 miles ago.
The other day Im sitting at a red light, bike is in first gear, clutch lever held in. I notice the bike slowly starts creeping forward even though the clutch lever is still in. Light turns green I release the clutch lever then take off, I shift from first to second fine, when I go to shift from second to third the clutch lever is "locked up" I cant pull it at all. I pull over on the side of the road, kill the bike and adjust the clutch cable loosening it some.. I start the bike back up get going again and when I attempt to shift from third to fourth the lever goes completely slack. Pull over again and spend a while trying more adjustment but no luck, call a buddy and trailer the bike home. Once home I put the bike on the lift pull the derby cover and adjust the clutch inside there and at the cable adjuster, start the bike while on the lift and shift thru gears a few times no problems then the handle locks up again. Pull the derby again and everything is still adjusted correctly. So at this point I figured there was a problem in the housing trap door, pull the housing and the cable is still together nothing has come apart. All three ball bearings are still there in the actuator it moves freely. I can pull the handle and the cable is free the actuator is moving fine. I bolt it back to the trans and again, no movement at the handle.
So any ideas what could possibly be going with my clutch? thanks

Old 04-29-2010, 07:21 PM
Rockrspud
Road Warrior
Lightbulb I'm Thinking That

I really think that your clutch came apart(friction disk between the plates or diaphram spring)
Did you pull out the clutch push rod to see if it is bent or broke?
The way I'm thinking is the adjustment travel is not making sence, so from the process of elimination :{clutch lever to the cable then to the actuator through the push rod and then to the pressure plate through the spring and to the friction plates releasing or engaging the clutch}between there is the problem.
I would almost bet that a friction plate came apart causing a jam in the clutch itself.
Keep Us Posted as to what you Find

Old 04-29-2010, 08:33 PM
hogbag07
Road Captain

The clutch basket could have worn from the friction plates causing steps that will stop the the plates from moving in when you pull the leaver or catch when you let it out. It can be fixed using a flat file to to remove all the rough edges but you need to take the same amount from each face so the load on the basket is even.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:28 AM
jungleman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Always do the simple things first.
Lube the clutch cable first.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:32 AM
jtmurph00
Road Captain

I did pull and check out the clutch push rod but it was fine. I also put new fluid in the trans after I pulled the side cover, not that it matters but there was no difference then either.

The cable was lubed good when it was recently installed. Since I was able to get full pull on the handle and observe the actuator functioning when I removed the side cover I pretty much ruled out the cable, handle, or actuator as the problem.

Hopefully I figure something out soon.

Last edited by jtmurph00; 04-30-2010 at 01:36 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:56 AM
hogbag07
Road Captain

Pull the basket and file it or replace with a new one ?

Old 04-30-2010, 04:10 AM
Rockrspud
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hogbag07
Pull the basket and file it or replace with a new one ?
I have to agree it's in the basket pretty much you followed it to that spot.
Something is getting hung up in there....it's got to be
The guys right if the basket is notched it will stop the plates from moving and jamb.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:57 PM
jtmurph00
Road Captain

Well, I wasnt getting anywhere on my own so I took the bike to a shop I know. They pulled the clutch and disassembled it. I mentioned to them the ideas from here worn plates, basket, or springs. They checked the whole thing and couldnt find a thing wrong with it. They got it back together and I put probably a 100 miles on it today and probably 20 minutes of in town riding. It ran fine not a problem one the whole time. Im at a loss but I just hope it holds up and doesnt happen again.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Normally I don't believe in majic. But, I do keep an open mind.