Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

ULTIMA 6 speed trans failure........

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 07:09 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Oh yeah and I love Redline, but don't tell anybody, oil is a touchy subject around these parts.
man, i'll say oil is a touchy subject around here.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:17 AM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 345 Likes on 175 Posts

About 10,000 miies on the Ultima 6 speed in a 100 HP Dyna. No noise and nothing wrong so far. I did replace the bearings in the gearset with Harley bearings and used the Baker shifter pawl instead of the Ultima part. The Baker shifter pawl makes it shift like butter, it doesn't even feel like a Harley transmission.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:02 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,810 Likes on 3,315 Posts
Default Strength????

I realize just how old this post is and that is exactly why i am referring to it. I can understand some of the problems with the Ultima 6, when you attach it to a monster motor with monster torque. It's like anything else the more power the stronger the drive train. The Ultima 6 is just a mediocre affordable trans. In June I installed an Ultima 6 and to date have had no problems. I do have to change the fluid in it though, like most new pieces of equipment there is a break in period and a time to change the fluids. Have any of you that have this 6 speed done that? And if so, those that have did you have any problems? and same with those that did not change the fluid how many problems have you had. I'd really like to know. call it research. Just so all of you know I ride a 98 FatBoy with 61,000 miles on it that puts out 94# of torque, stock bore and 3.31:1 gear ratio. I ride pretty hard and have had no problems with the drive train, a BDL enclosed 1 5/8" Belt primary along with a 70 tooth by 1" rear pulley with a Gates Poly chain by BDL and a Metzler 150/80-16. Feel free to chime in I'd really like to know. Thanx

Old 10-16-2014, 06:34 PM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine was not an Ultima, It was a similar straight-cut-gear POS. I would not dare to guess what improvements have been made since I tossed my JIMS, so bear that in mind. Anyway....the first few thousand miles mine ran with the period MOCO tranny fluid. Later on, I switched to the Red Line High-Shock (bubble-gum). I still run that in all of my transmissions. It's not a miracle-cure as it never did anything good to my JIMS, but I like Red Line.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:12 PM
jagonza1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just installed mine a few months ago

I put the Ultima 6 speed over drive in my 03 bagger ad i have my motor built to a 103 puts out 107 hp and 116 installed the tranny in february and love it neutral is easy to find very solid and feels great. its quiet in high gear hear my stereo even better.

but I did a lot of reading and of coarse I find that the baker over drive gear set identical ratios to the ultima and on further reading it appears that Baker uses american made cases but gets gears and shafts from the same Korean factory as ultima. So I had my mine installed parts and labor for 1700 and the baker gears set is 2500 just for the gear set.

Honestly I couldn't be happier.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:55 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by jagonza1

Seriously?

You`ve only had it for a month, that`s not much of a testimonial.

Bet you are back later playing a different tune...

Old 03-30-2015, 07:51 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by jagonza1
I put the Ultima 6 speed over drive in my 03 bagger ad i have my motor built to a 103 puts out 107 hp and 116 installed the tranny in february and love it neutral is easy to find very solid and feels great. its quiet in high gear hear my stereo even better.

but I did a lot of reading and of coarse I find that the baker over drive gear set identical ratios to the ultima and on further reading it appears that Baker uses american made cases but gets gears and shafts from the same Korean factory as ultima. So I had my mine installed parts and labor for 1700 and the baker gears set is 2500 just for the gear set.

As has been said before in this thread please send me a link to this "further reading" that falsely claims that our gears are made anywhere other then America.I would like to find out who's is posting these falsehoods because it is not only degrading I think it's slander if there is such a thing in the new internet world.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:44 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,810 Likes on 3,315 Posts
Default but,but,but

Ifin It sez heer on my putor, than I reckon it's gots to be da truuf, ,, lol. Go get him Mark.....,,.,

Old 03-30-2015, 03:10 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Ifin It sez heer on my putor, than I reckon it's gots to be da truuf, ,, lol. Go get him Mark.....,,.,
Knuckleheads anyway, to answer your question, at least with our transmissions, there is no break in period. Put it in and beat the crap out of it. We recommend changing the fluid every 5000 or once a riding season for those of us that have riding seasons.

Old 03-23-2021, 06:42 PM
gerald martin
Road Master
Received 447 Likes on 292 Posts
Default gears

Originally Posted by oneinthewind
since you're a Ultima customer contact them ask find out where their steel comes from, and who machines it. All these intermittant problems with these various tranny's sounds a lot like quality control issues and ****-poor steel coming out of China. I have a good rule of thumb when it comes to tools and moving parts. If it requires a bearing and strength and it has the word "China" anywhere on it. Keep looking.
and who does
Deleted my message may have been mis informed

Last edited by gerald martin; 03-23-2021 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Deleted, may have had my info wrong

Quick Reply: ULTIMA 6 speed trans failure........