Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Clutch trouble/hard shifting

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 06:31 PM
duxsrus
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Clutch trouble/hard shifting

My 07 Fatboy has been starting to shift harder than usual. It had a new clutch cable put on it under warranty so I figured it might just need re-adjusted. I followed the procedure in my service manual exactly and then tried it and it seemed worse. So I started over and and tried it again and it definately seems worse now. It sounds and jumps so bad just putting it in 1st I'm affraid to ride it now. Here's what I did.

While following the adjustment procedure, what doesn't make sense is, after I turn the adjustment screw inside the primary "in" until lightly snug, it says to "activate the clutch lever to verify the ***** are seated in the ramps". At this point, when I squeeze the lever, it's just mush. Anyhow, I continued on and loosened it about a whole turn like it says and then torqued the jamnut. Next it says to "squeeze the clutch lever to the maximum three times to set the ball and ramp release mechanism". I did this, but again it just feels like mush. So next I adjust the cable back to where there is about 1/16" between the ferule and the bracket. Now the clutch feels great. So I start the engine, squeeze the clutch and step on the shifter and it just "slams" into gear. The clutch is working as in I can release the clutch and it takes off smooth, it just sounds horrible putting it into gear. So second try. I start over with the exact same procedure except instead of backing the adjustment screw out a whole turn, I only back it out a quarter turn because that seems like it gives it more engagement. Put it back together and if anything it seems worse. So I'm lost. I don't know if something is fubar'd or I'm just doing it wrong. I'm affraid to even ride it to the squeeler now.

So anyone know if it sounds like I'm just doing something wrong? Is it something with the mushy feel when seating the "ramp" things? That's the only step that doesn't seem right because the lever is just dead when I adjust the cable to maximum freeplay. I've put about 17K on it and I can say that it is definately getting worse. Not just going into first gear, but up or down shifting through all the gears. Or is that just how it is and I'm worrying about nothing? I dunno. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:23 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Clutch adjustment seems so easy at first.
Work your way thru the prosess.
First
After loostening things enough to fell slack everywhere, go do the adjustment at the clutch. The extra backoff is because the slack gets less as things get hot. Get that set like it says, I think it says, 3/4 -1 turn.
Now the lever.
Close up the cable adjustment some, cause like you said, things are too loose to really do much at first.
When things are less slack you can gently pull in to seat the ***** in the release mech.
This is over by where the cable goes into the transmission.
May wiggle the clutch adjustment nut and make sure the wiggle is there.
Bring up the lever adjustment to 1/16-1/8. Lock it in.

This whole area is very tempermental and it doesn't take much to get out of, "right". Just takes a tiny bit to get out of wack. Me anyway.

You'll get it.

I think Dealers give this job to the new guy which drives HD folks crazy all over the world.

Last edited by Old Gunny; 06-17-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:59 AM
duxsrus
Advanced

Thanks, I'll try it again today after work. At least I understand the reason for backing out the screw now. I know when I first loosened the jamnut I had to screw in the adjustment screw 3 to 4 complete turns for it to tighten up, way more than 3/4 turn for sure! But I have made it go from bad to I'm affraid a gear is going to come out the side of the case now. I'm just hoping that this is a clutch adjustment and not an adjustment needed in the tranny. My stress releiver is stressing me out.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:39 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,497 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by duxsrus
Thanks, I'll try it again today after work. At least I understand the reason for backing out the screw now. I know when I first loosened the jamnut I had to screw in the adjustment screw 3 to 4 complete turns for it to tighten up, way more than 3/4 turn for sure! But I have made it go from bad to I'm affraid a gear is going to come out the side of the case now. I'm just hoping that this is a clutch adjustment and not an adjustment needed in the tranny. My stress releiver is stressing me out.
Don`t worry, it is not a transmission problem. Follow Old Gunny`s instructions and you will be fine.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:12 PM
duxsrus
Advanced

I talked to an HD tech about it today and was told to try and run the adjustment screw all the way in and back out several times before finishing up with it 1/4 turn out, letting go of the clutch lever so it snaps back a few times, and after messing with it for another hour or so I got it back to maybe slightly slightly better than it was before I started messing with it. It still sounds and feels not right at all when running through the gears. Come to think of it Neutral has been getting hard to find lately. Maybe that's related? I guess I need to make a service appointment now, that's gonna be cheaper than new gears. I tried my best, that's all I can do. Thanks for the tips and words of encouragement!

Old 06-17-2010, 06:19 PM
Tucson_Tim
Tourer

Originally Posted by Old Gunny
After loosening things enough to fell slack everywhere, go do the adjustment at the clutch. The extra backoff is because the slack gets less as things get hot. Get that set like it says, I think it says, 3/4 -1 turn.
If there is one complaint I have with the H-D service manual, it's that it doesn't explain "why" we're doing something in a step. Thanks for the explanation!

Old 06-17-2010, 06:25 PM
Tucson_Tim
Tourer

Originally Posted by duxsrus
My stress reliever is stressing me out.
Sorry. I laughed out loud when I read that. At least you've got a sense of humor -- that helps.

Last edited by Tucson_Tim; 06-17-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:35 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Know the feeling
I've reached the age where if I relieve stress too much I fall asleep by 2030.

I think the thing that makes clutch adjustment a bigger job than one would thing is the ***** and ramp affair.
This is a great idea but if you get everything loose like it says do the ***** are real loose in their cavities. Maybe get up on a high spot.
Somewhere around this area is why I think it is harder to get right that it reads.
But wiggle things around and do over.

Have to adjust your fine touch.

Last edited by Old Gunny; 06-17-2010 at 06:41 PM.