Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Clutch Cable rpl, now I have trouble...

Old 07-15-2010, 08:37 PM
Sam D.
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Clutch Cable rpl, now I have trouble...

I replaced my 64" Clutch Cable with a 56.25" due to going from 14" apes to 6.5 risers and drag bars...
The bike already had an Easy Pull in the tranny cover,,,removed cover, removed Easy Pull, replaced clutch cable, buttoned everything up, adjusted cable to leave 1/8" to 3/8" play at the lever and now I'm not getting enough lever to disengage the damn clutch... I ran out the play at the lever and it still won't go into neutral when it's running...
What did I screw up???

One thing I did notice was the new clutch cable is 50% easier to pull than the old one...could I have done something wrong putting the Easy Pull back in...the 3 ***** were in their pockets when I set the plate back in
the hole,,,and the snap ring is in the groove.

I even went down to the primary and set the clutch rod after putting all the slack back in the cable, so everything would be a fresh adjustment.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:22 PM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bet the ramp that the cable attaches to is out of place. Try pushing in into place through the filler hole with a screw driver.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Sam D.
Road Master

Yeah it might be something that easy,,, I was using a manual and made sure the circlip was facing the correct direction... Not sure which part you are calling the Ramp...
BTW: I did take the spacer off the old cable and put it on the new cable, then the seal.

This is what my Easy Pull set up looks like. But they have the circlip 180* off according to the HD manual.

I'll take the cover back off tomorrow...Got to get it right before Saturday,,,Poker Run.

Last edited by Sam D.; 07-15-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:23 AM
ajayrk
Road Master

The outer ramp is the part under the lock ring. It may be pointing down instead of up. Put slack in the cable and the adjustment at the clutch and pull it up by reaching through the filler hole.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:32 AM
Arlensmess
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you loosen the adjuster under the derby cover and reset to half to three quarter turn? The snapring in the picture is installed wrong also

Old 07-16-2010, 02:31 PM
Sam D.
Road Master

Well I took the tranny cover back off,,,everything looked ok...but I did
notice that the new clutch cable-cable was about 1/3 the size of my old cable and it had rubbed the cable entrance hole and started to fray...$53 bucks down the drain.
(Yes, I did back the adjuster on the clutch basket when I installed the new cable)

I put the old cable back on,,,It didn't have enough slack to connect to the lever even with the mid adjustment on the cable completely collapsed,,,so
I took off the derby cover and backed the adjuster off a bunch...

I took it out and rode it,,,it shifts ok, still kinda hard to get into neutral and it never has been like that til the cable issue.
One thing about it now,,,I can not have the lever so it has 1/8" free, if I set it like that the problem getting into neutral gets worse.

PS: I just got the bike back Wed. from having the inner primary seal replaced... It shifted and went into neutral ok then.
Do you think something might have gotten screwed up when he put things back together?

Thanks for the previous suggestions.

Last edited by Sam D.; 07-16-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:35 PM
ajayrk
Road Master

Just a thought. Did you reinstall the spacer provided for the clutch cable to make up for the extra length caused by the EZ clutch attachment?

Old 07-17-2010, 07:12 AM
rodmodder
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the same thing going on with my clutch cable.
This is my second one also...
I did not make any adjustments in the primary though. I need more info on that.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:24 AM
Sam D.
Road Master

Originally Posted by ajayrk
Just a thought. Did you reinstall the spacer provided for the clutch cable to make up for the extra length caused by the EZ clutch attachment?
Yes I did,,,on both the new cable,,,and yesterday when I re-installed the old cable.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:50 AM
Sam D.
Road Master

Originally Posted by rodmodder
I got the same thing going on with my clutch cable.
This is my second one also...
I did not make any adjustments in the primary though. I need more info on that.
Here you go: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/trans...-easy-way.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch Cable rpl, now I have trouble...