Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Twin Cam in Evo Softail frame / Offset Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 11:28 AM
gb1286
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Twin Cam in Evo Softail frame / Offset Issues

Hey guys, I have a new build just starting. I have a 2004 Twin Cam 88ci A engine mounted in a Evo style Softail frame 250mm rear tire (utilizing an engine adapter plate) and now I am to the point where I need to figure the offset so I can order the parts I need for this application. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Twin Cam in Evo Softail frame / Offset Issues-8-09-10-8-.jpg   Twin Cam in Evo Softail frame / Offset Issues-8-09-10-7-.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
derkxx (07-17-2018)
Old 02-04-2011, 08:44 AM
graultytc88
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

hows the project coming? It looks like nobody gave you an answer, as I understand it the 250's are 11/2" offset. Have you figured this out already?

Old 02-05-2011, 09:56 AM
gb1286
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Man, and you are correct in that noone has given me an answer...Here's where I am at if you got a second. I had to order a 1 inch trans offset plate , this allowed for the final drive set up (1 1/2 inch belt drive with a stock 65 tooth Rear Pulley and a 32 tooth Front Drive pulley) This allowed for the drive belt to make its passage through the frame/swingarm and have proper clearance, this also allowed the 250 Rear tire to remain centered...Note I had to use a 1/8 inch spacer between the rear wheel hub and the rear drive pulley. Now that this is done (correctly I hope) I am ready to move on to the Primary Drive set up. I chose to go with a stock type closed primary, wet clutch etc.....my problem is that I want to order the entire Primary drive as a kit, My main concern is this: The flange on the crankcase (where the inner primary cover bolts to) is in exact alignment with the flange on the 5 speed Softail Transmission.....Is this supposed to be the case??? I have searched to get a pic of the casting (backside) of the inner primary cover to see if this is the correct alignment to connect the engine to the trans via Primary Drive Set.....I understand that the Twin Cam is 1/4 inch wider than the Evo but I am not sure that The "Vulcan" brand engine adapter plate accomodated this width difference when it was machined, The engine adapter plate's instructions stated that by using the adapter plate and thusly mounting a Twin Cam in an Evo style Softail frame you could use Evo style Primary drive components.....its this wide tire set up and engine trans alignment that has me stumped........anyway any input would be greatly appreciated.....I can send some more descriptive pics when I get time I am at geraldkbellamy @ yahoo.com

Old 02-06-2011, 01:39 PM
graultytc88
Tourer

I am doing the same thing with a 96" tc but I expect to use a belted primary because the word is they cause less vibration than the chain. If you havn't made a purchase you might consider a belt. My last solid mount rigid had vibrationns at certain speeds that were a nusance on a long ride, many people suggested the belt would be better.
Anyway, all the 250 frames I've looked at that have trany mounts pre-installed call for a 1 1/2" offset, and likewise I see inner primary motor adapters for sale that are 1 1/2" long. This doesn't seem to be correct in your situation though.
I'm suprised that your tranny and motor are in alignment because even a stock inner primary has an offset at the motor connection, and when you install a left hand drive wide tire the tranny has to move to the outside, thus requiring the additional primary motor extention. It also requires a longer nut to hold the compensator sprocket.
This is sort of the blind leading the blind, but I would work from the motor to the tranny first, this alignment is absolutely critical. The motor has to be where it is, and the back tire has to be in the center. The only place to make up the difference is in the tranny position and the pully location.
when I put a five speed on my shovel frame I had to replace the transmission pully with a 5/8" offset sprocket. This was easy for me because I already had a 48 tooth sprocket on the rear. Maybe your solution might be in converting to a chain.
To expect these aftermarket parts to assemble with the same ease as factory parts is overly optimistic! For example, when I did my conversion, there was one hole on the 5 spd trany plate that did not align. I ordered a 5 in a 4 conversion plate and when I got it none of the holes matched exactly! The bottom line is we have to make things work when we take on custom projects like this and that's what it's all about!

Old 07-23-2011, 01:00 AM
koko3052
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done similar. Put a "B" & the 5 spd. in an Evo frame only because the frame had a lot of the "dimensions" that I wanted (up & out). Started by mounting the tranny to the swingarm bolt. All is centered perfectly.. no sidesaddle riding here! Running a 250 rear & front.. but all the "builders" said it couldn't be done and wouldn't (didn't know how)make the tripple trees for me ,so I made them myself. Using a "b" engine I just cut out all the engine & tranny mounts was simplist. Had to "stretch" the lower tubes by 2.5" to be able to get this twinky in.
Fuel tank made from a pair of '57 International "stepside" fenders, custom front & rear fenders, custom tripple trees, bars, dual headlights, etc.,..almost everything "custom" and done by owner. Still ongoing!

Old 07-24-2011, 07:10 AM
graultytc88
Tourer

Originally Posted by koko3052
I've done similar. Put a "B" & the 5 spd. in an Evo frame only because the frame had a lot of the "dimensions" that I wanted (up & out). Started by mounting the tranny to the swingarm bolt. All is centered perfectly.. no sidesaddle riding here! Running a 250 rear & front.. but all the "builders" said it couldn't be done and wouldn't (didn't know how)make the tripple trees for me ,so I made them myself. Using a "b" engine I just cut out all the engine & tranny mounts was simplist. Had to "stretch" the lower tubes by 2.5" to be able to get this twinky in.
Fuel tank made from a pair of '57 International "stepside" fenders, custom front & rear fenders, custom tripple trees, bars, dual headlights, etc.,..almost everything "custom" and done by owner. Still ongoing!
That is wild! I am still working on it myself, nearly ready to run the wires. I'm using a rigid frame so I didn't really consider using the transmission. I'm using an ultima six speed and belted primary.
I will have to post some pics here soon, do you have any of your project? That B motor looks like a real challenge to install in a evo frame.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:21 PM
bugg
Stage I

Ive started a similar project, and I have to say, I've learned a lot just reading this thread......I've got a 99 twin can A from an Electra glide and my rims and tires already, 250 rear and front tires are the sturgis wheels......finding out the stock tranny won't work in this situation.....keep posting, I'll keep reading

Old 02-19-2015, 06:48 AM
graultytc88
Tourer

Originally Posted by bugg
Ive started a similar project, and I have to say, I've learned a lot just reading this thread......I've got a 99 twin can A from an Electra glide and my rims and tires already, 250 rear and front tires are the sturgis wheels......finding out the stock tranny won't work in this situation.....keep posting, I'll keep reading
I forgot about this thread!
It can be done Bugg, easy with the 88's. Look at Vulcan engineering for all the parts, if you haven't already.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:26 AM
graultytc88
Tourer

Originally Posted by graultytc88
I forgot about this thread!
It can be done Bugg, easy with the 88's. Look at Vulcan engineering for all the parts, if you haven't already.
Www.vulcanworks.net
Is your motor carborated? Hope so, kept the F.I. on mine, wish I hadn't.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:43 AM
Chopper Rob
Stage III

Hi, i'm also doing the same type of build. Evo softail frame, Twincam 'A' 88" and 5 speed Evo trans. Your build is a lot further along than mine, i'm just about to start putting the motor together so i will be watching and hopefully adding to this thread.

P.S Carbs rule.

Quick Reply: Twin Cam in Evo Softail frame / Offset Issues