Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

primary chain tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 07:27 PM
tinker1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default primary chain tensioner

I have about 51,000 on my 08 eGlide. I have changed engine oil every 2500 miles and tranny + primary fluid every 5000 miles religiously.

With the number of miles I am starting to think I should look at the primary chain tensioner. Since they took away the inspection cover on the primary cover (not derby) I will have to pull the cover to inspect it... which looks like kind of a big deal to me.

So, other than pulling the cover and looking at the tensioner, is there any way to tell it needs to be replaced by the way the bike shifts or runs? All seems fine, but I'd rather to some maintenance up front rather than repair damage later.

And how big a deal is this project?

Thanks.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:33 AM
tbone52
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's no big deal to pull the outer primary chain cover. Remove the floorboard support arm from the frame - two bolts. Remove the shifter arm - one pinch bolt. Remove the bolts from the primary cover. Inspect the tensioner. If bad remove two bolts and change it out following the instructions in the service manual. You will need one tie-wrap to hold the tensioner in a compressed position until you bolt it in. At that time you cut the tie-wrap and release the tension.
Replace the cover with new gasket. Torque the bolts down in the pattern shown in the service manual. Replace the shifter arm. Replace the floorboard support arm and torque to service manual specs.
Make sure you clean out the holes in the Allen bolts to make sure they have no compacted dirt in them so the wrench bottoms out in the hole. Otherwise you may round out the flats.

Use blue loctite on the bolts.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:48 AM
peppi
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It's really no big deal at all. There are different length bolts in some locations so it may be a wise thing to do to get a piece of cardboard and draw the outline of the cover on it and place the bolts in their position as you remove them. Be sure to torque the bolts in the proper sequence and order when replacing them or you can warp the cover. Tbone has you covered on the rest.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:51 AM
tbone52
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by peppi
It's really no big deal at all. There are different length bolts in some locations so it may be a wise thing to do to get a piece of cardboard and draw the outline of the cover on it and place the bolts in their position as you remove them. Be sure to torque the bolts in the proper sequence and order when replacing them or you can warp the cover. Tbone has you covered on the rest.
Good idea. I forgot to mention the cardboard trick. I used it when I removed my transmission to change out the shifter drum.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:04 PM
tinker1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome. Thanks guys!

Old 10-17-2010, 02:07 PM
centershots
Advanced

Good info, thanks. I was also considering doing this.

I looked over my sevice manual and can't find a reccomended time for checking this. Is 50K about right?

Has anyone had theirs wear out?

Thanks again for the post, it explained the process perfectly.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by centershots
...I looked over my sevice manual and can't find a reccomended time for checking this. Is 50K about right?
There's a little more to in then just raw mileage.

The alignment of the sprockets, sharpness of the edges of the chain, and chain tension affect the life of the shoe among other things.

Removing the primary cover on a late model TC takes about 10 minutes including removing the floorboard and heel shifter (draining the fluid will take a few minutes longer assuming you use the drain plug to do so).

FWIW, I'd be careful with the use of any Locktite...the longer bolts can twist and break leaving a real mess.

Do follow the torque sequence for all bolts.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:44 AM
Sefferdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by centershots
Good info, thanks. I was also considering doing this.

I looked over my sevice manual and can't find a reccomended time for checking this. Is 50K about right?

Has anyone had theirs wear out?

Thanks again for the post, it explained the process perfectly.
Had the one on my 07 replaced under warranty at 33,000 then again at 51,000. At the 51,000 they also replaced chain and compensator. 87,000 now and just got bike back from more warranty work where they replaced the compensator again, this time with the SE comp and the tensioner looked fine.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:30 AM
centershots
Advanced

Good info... thanks. Looks like I should pull the primary cover about every 15 - 20k for an inspection. (And have one on hand just in case its needed.)