Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Bike Moves with Clutch Pulled

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 04:21 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Bike Moves with Clutch Pulled

I've read some posts about being able to move bikes, I believe with the clutch out and the bike in gear (not started of course).

I had the opposite problem last night. I parked the bike after long ride from Somerville to Manalapan. I shut it off quick cause I was right outside the kitchen door of my buddies place (Old Silver Tavern). I didn't want to disturb the folks. I left the bike in gear as a result. When I came out, by virtue of no beer all Diet Coke, I remembered and pulled the clutch. The bike actually moved forward every time the starter cranked. I was startled, so I let it go and tried again, same thing - not enough pull to move away, but I clearly was holding the bike.

After I started it, I put it in Neutral, then put it back in gear with the clutch pulled in. No pull on the bike, the clutch feels fine.

Has anyone ever experienced this - that when starting, in gear with the clutch pulled, the clutch appears to not be completely disengaged (bike moves slightly)?

Old 09-30-2006, 04:30 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Bike Moves with Clutch Pulled

A couple of things could cause this, first is a heavy weight primary oil or cold temps (oil is a bit thicker) and last is a clutch adjustment. You want the clutch to grab at the halfway point away from the bars for a better seperation of the plates as opposed to up close to the bars. It will also minimize the clunking and neutral is easier to find too.

Old 09-30-2006, 04:34 PM
keduco1
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always had that problem with any bike I ever owned.....whether in neutral or in gear with the clutch pulled. I'm not sure but my thoughts is that it is just the inertia of everything starting to spin causing the bike to move a little. Depending on what kinda grade or the way you are parked makes it more noticable at certain times. I would always leave my bike in neutral and start it up standing next to the bike and then put on my gear while it warmed up a little. One day it rocked just enough to start retracting the jiffy stand and started to roll/fall. Luckily I caught it and hurried up and grabbed it. Needless to say it was at an HD ride at the dealer parking lot.....everyone was like "nice save". Wouldn't have been pretty if she kept going...probably would of took out many bikes! Since then I always mount my bike before starting!

Old 09-30-2006, 04:36 PM
Denbo
Tourer

My Fat-Boy does the same thing even with proper clutch adjustment,I just learned to always start in netural.It will always start when in gear it just moves a fraction then it cranks right over.

Old 09-30-2006, 05:19 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

My clutch was just adjusted by the dealer. It works fine when the bikes running, so if it disengages the clutch then, should disengage it when starting, no? But like you said it was cold. I had been out for the day. Parked, had dinner and then when it was really cold rode the two miles home.

I was right where the pavement ends and the gravel behind his restaurant begins. I didn't want to believe that the pistons, rods, flywheels shifting inside the motor could actually make the bike rock like that, but I guess parked right where the pavement changed, it might have been the jugs movin.

Probably the combination of the parts moving and a little bit of friction caused by the cold clutch oil.

Learn somethin new every day.

Old 09-30-2006, 05:25 PM
ChiTownDaddy
Advanced

I also experience this on my 06 BOB. Don't know why it occurs. I do start it in gear though. Perhaps I will start it in neutral and eliminate any freak damage from the lurch.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:25 PM
gbm
Advanced

Never start machinery in gear. Not bikes, not cars, not tractors, not anything. It's not only a safety issue, it's easier on the mechanisms involved. In neutral, the starter is not working against the throwout bearing or its' equivalent, all you're doing is spinning the mainshaft. When electric starters were the exception, not the rule, we first kicked the bike in neutral with the clutch lever pulled in to free up the clutch. There's always a little friction between the plates in a wet clutch on a cold start even with the lever pulled all the way and it takes a turn or two to loosen things up.

Old 10-02-2006, 06:04 PM
ReeseSS
Tourer

The manual wants you to back off at least 1/2 to 3/4 turns after adusting plate makes contact. That leaves some slop or play there before clutch starts to disengage. I have had much better results just barely backing it off so it is not touching. This gives additional disengagement when pulling in clutch and pretty much eliminates the partial engagement you feel when clutch is pulled. Put in gear and pull clutch, then push bike forward sitting on it, after adjustment do the same thing, there should be a noticable difference in resistance.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:34 PM
Oilslick
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As ReeseSS says, I think adjustment is the key. If you do it to the manual, there is too much free play.

My Bob used to shift great until it went for it's 1000 mile service. Then it clunked into first and shifting was hard.

Try this from the DIY section. https://www.hdforums.com/m_70839/tm.htm

Worked for me

Old 10-09-2006, 01:49 AM
rmarion
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, my bike will so the same thing.........I just hold on a little tighter........do my little dirt bikes YZ 250 & 450F bikes do this?????? I always start those bikes in netrual......

I believe it's the nature of the beast......

ORIGINAL: nine11c2

I've read some posts about being able to move bikes, I believe with the clutch out and the bike in gear (not started of course).

I had the opposite problem last night. I parked the bike after long ride from Somerville to Manalapan. I shut it off quick cause I was right outside the kitchen door of my buddies place (Old Silver Tavern). I didn't want to disturb the folks. I left the bike in gear as a result. When I came out, by virtue of no beer all Diet Coke, I remembered and pulled the clutch. The bike actually moved forward every time the starter cranked. I was startled, so I let it go and tried again, same thing - not enough pull to move away, but I clearly was holding the bike.

After I started it, I put it in Neutral, then put it back in gear with the clutch pulled in. No pull on the bike, the clutch feels fine.

Has anyone ever experienced this - that when starting, in gear with the clutch pulled, the clutch appears to not be completely disengaged (bike moves slightly)?