Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Baker DD6

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep...I really do understand they have came a long way and I got bit early when they were selling them as OD fuel savers and vibration reducers.....what a load of BS that turned out to be. Even Harley is still behind the curve (surprise, surprise) and seems to only catch-up after the buying public "teaches" them what to do. The TG for instance...the 09 and 10 model years were totally geared too high and 6th. was virtually useless. The smart owners went to 30-tooth output pulleys and brought 6th. back into a usable range. Harley came out with the 30-tooth output pulley on the 11 model years. Only took MOCO 2-years to figure that one out.

Unless you are a performance rider and want the close ratio shifting afforded by the 6-speed....why go to the 6th. speed and have to re-gear back to a 5-speed final drive. I just don't see the logic for the average rider.

Last edited by 0734; 04-01-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:55 AM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do not want a full set of helical cut gears just the gears you run in the most. Yes straight cut gears are stronger and is why you want them in the lower gears like in the DD6 and HD 6 speeds as the helical decrease transmission noise. I will not be gearing my back to stock 5 speed ratio on my DD6 unless I have to when I install the sidecar which I do not think I will have to. I like the ratio that comes stock on the DD6 when I get rid of the noise in the primary I will be totally pleased.

I will never buy another new Harley do to Harley s ways now. I hope to see over 200K one day on my 02 Ultra.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Me too! I have a friend with an 01 that has rolled over 170,000 miles and all he has done to it is one new drive belt and two sets of tensioner shoes. I am going to run the one I have until either me or it fails to function.

No...please don't start with a tensioner shoe discussion here in this thread....there are 50-60 other threads that work that issue (LOL).

Old 04-01-2011, 11:16 AM
46u
Road Warrior

I have a friend that has a 1988 FLHS for runner of the road king with over 220K on it he bought new. For the past 100K has been pulling a BIG I mean BIG sidecar. We did have to put a motor in it at 192K. He has owned other motorcycle over the years along with his FLHS. He drove it to Alaska and back this past summer with his son in the sidecar after buying a new 2010 Road King but felt safer taking the 1988. LOL

Old 04-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Teflon Tom
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dd6 for three years now

I have had the DD6 in my bike now for three years, and that primary noise has been an issue since. The same noise as in your bike I also have in mine, like you I have years of HD experiance and I can tell you that noise is there to stay it does lessen somewhat in time either that or I am getting so use to it.
Other than the flawless shifting and easy neutral engagement I don't think the DD6 is worth the money invested. That is a personal view about the DD6 and doesn't effect the quality I have experienced with other Baker products through out my HD riding

Old 04-01-2011, 03:44 PM
46u
Road Warrior

Tom are you running the manual chain adjuster with the shoe that comes with the DD6 kit? Mine does not shift any smother then my stock 5 speed. The thicker shoe for my HB125 just got here. Hope to give it a try in the next couple of days.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:19 PM
46u
Road Warrior

Fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-03-2011, 03:14 PM
Teflon Tom
Advanced
Default Baker Shoe

I have the Baker shoe and I still can't get the adjustment right the next thing is their adjuster. That DD6 shifts better than any bike I have ever had just that F%^ing noise, I'll order the fine adjuster when I get ahead a bit. Glad you git it sorted out.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:06 PM
46u
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Teflon Tom
I have the Baker shoe and I still can't get the adjustment right the next thing is their adjuster. That DD6 shifts better than any bike I have ever had just that F%^ing noise, I'll order the fine adjuster when I get ahead a bit. Glad you git it sorted out.
I have a fine tooth Baker adjuster I will sell you! I tried it and it did not help matter of fact if anything it made things worse!!! Just got back from a 70 mile ride and so far the HB125 seems the way to go. I still have just a little noise but nothing like it was in the 5K miles I have put on the DD6 it is the quietest is has ever been so far. My DD6 never did shift any better then my 5 speed till I put the HB125 in. All and all the DD6 is not worth the money and I would not recommend it I am sorry to say!

Old 04-04-2011, 01:19 PM
tarheelrdr
Tourer

Originally Posted by 46u
I have gone as far as pulling the alternator rotor and checking the magnets in the rotor and making sure the stator is tight and not flopping around. I have seen this cause noise more then once.

Now as far as shimming not sure where you say to put the shim. When you tighten down the motor sprocket nut the spring plate bottoms out on the sprocket shaft extension so putting a shim on the nut does not seem like it would do any good. Please explain.

When I put the DD6 in my bike had around 80K on it. I use to have a noise when I would go to take off that sounded like the compensating sprocket. I put a NEW spring plate and what Harley calls the sliding cam in and it did get rid of that noise when I first pull off.

I have talked to Roger at Southern Oregon Hot Bike that makes the HB 125 and said he has many DD6 users running the HB 125. He makes a thicker shoe for it and said to put a 1/8 thick washer in the shoe where the plunger goes before putting on the hydraulic plunger.

When I put all the stock stuff in the primary there is very little noise nothing like with the Baker stuff in there.

I do thank all for the input as in my 40 years of working on Harley s is got to be the most frustrating problem I have come across to date.

Do you have a Phone number or e-mail address for Roger? I have the same problem as far as the chain adjustment goes.

Thanks
Tim

Quick Reply: Baker DD6