Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Baker DD6

Old 04-20-2011, 12:34 PM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being I do not have this problem when I put all the stock parts in the primary if there is something that is manufactured wrong it has to be on Bakers end. I have wondered about Baker s compensating sprocket. Problem is I have called Baker a WHOLE lot trying to get the problem fix and they are getting kinda of snotty now!!!!!!! I have WAY to damn much in this for what I am ending up with! For what I have in the DD6 fiasco I could have done my last five states and had money left over. Not only that I have missed a LOT of riding time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-20-2011, 12:45 PM
46u
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Teflon Tom
I wrote an email to Baker with a detailed explaination of the noise from my primary after installing the DD6 in two of the drivelines in my FLH. I also gave them the link to this sight and to this section about the DD6 primary noise in particluar. I was told that there are no issues with the DD6 and they would cause no noises in the primary, They did offer me a good price on the fine tooth adjuster they sell. Like I have stated before I really like my DD6 and am happy with the gear set but kinda disappointed that the primary noise is overshadowing such a fine product.
When I talked to James, Scott and Mark I was told at bike rallies they install DD6 and some times the customer comes back with a primary noise problem and all they do is move the chain up one notch that leads me to beleive they just run the chain way to tight. I tried the fine tooth adjuster and beleive it or not made things worse. Do you really think if there was a problem they would admit in in writing?

Sorry for venting guys but being I have been out of a steady job for going on 2 years a $2,000 plus hit hurts that much more. One thing is for sure I do not have this problem with the STOCK HD parts when I install them!

Right now when I have the bike sitting and increases the RPM to around 1,800 to 2,000 it is like some one is wracking the primary with a wrench.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:03 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The new 07 and up primaries have a great big front sproket that causes the chain to run close to the cover on the front and front bottom.

The slack is thrown down, especially ar lower RPM's, and when I first got my bike it was hitting the first bolt boss down there as it came around.
The factory had even cut a bevel there but it was still kissing. Sounder like a little hammer.

I growned the bevel more and that stopped.

Just something.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:51 AM
Teflon Tom
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having put about 100 miles on the new driveline and readjusted this,that and the other thing, it, the primary seems to have quited down somewhat. I'm not saying it's perfect but livable. I let a friend try it and did not discuss the primary noise and he did comment on it saying he could hear a noise.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:53 AM
46u
Road Warrior

I got a visit from Bert Baker owner of Baker Drivetrain today Mark one of his technicians was with him both very nice sincere guys. Updates coming in the next couple of weeks or sooner.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:12 AM
7munster4
Stage I

hi 46u,i have a 2000 flht that i just put a dd6 into and i have aprimary noise issue like you have.waiting on the edge of my seat to see how to shut it up.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:34 AM
46u
Road Warrior

Mine is quieter then it was but still nosier then with the stock set up. I am sorry to say but in my opinion for what the DD6 cost even thaw you have about 400 RPM less or so then the stock 5 speed is not worth the investment. I do commend Bert for stopping by and doing all he could.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:41 PM
46u
Road Warrior

I got all the noise out of my primary. Do to putting a Harley sidecar on mine I went back to the stock primary chain and sprocket and I have NO noise. The 28th was to tall with the hack.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:26 AM
docrick
6th Gear

thanks for the info, always helpful to see others experiencing similar issues.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:31 AM
Nobatterybox
Novice
Default DD6 old thread... Resolution?

Was the cause ever isolated? I have a DD6 in my 94 FLSTF and thought my compensator was making noise so opened everything up. I didn't realize I had the 28T sprocket and had purchased at 25T no way that was going in without a chain change.

I did figure out where my noise is coming from. The chain is contacting the inner primary where the front dowel is. I too tightened the adjuster but it makes everything too tight. I am going to clearance the inner primary to fix the problem. It seems that the 28T is just a bit too big. Unfortunately I can only work on my bike in the parking lot and we have a couple hurricanes coming so it will be a couple weeks.

Probably doesn't matter since this thread is 4 years old anyway.

Roy

QUOTE=46u;8129719]BIG difference between the OD6 and the DD6! The DD6 is the same in 6th gear as as stock 5th 1 to 1 and the OD6 is a true over drive. I agree unless you have a really power full motor the OD6 is WAY to much. I paid less then $2K for my DD6 NEW. I will agree after running one I would not recommend the investment but since I have it now I will get it where it makes me happy.

I do not have a problem with transmission noise just primary noise as it has helical cut 4th, 5th and 6th. Even Harley on their 6 speeds had problems with noise before going to helical cut gears.
Thanks[/QUOTE]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Baker DD6