Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Convert to Heel & Toe Shifter on '92 Softail Springer?

Old 04-07-2011, 10:04 PM
Beachbiker45
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convert to Heel & Toe Shifter on '92 Softail Springer?

I just joined the forum, did a search, and can't find an answer to a new situation I'm facing.

I own a 1992 Softail Springer with the stock shifter.

I'm a military service-connected Disabled Veteran, and one of my rated medical conditions recently deteriorated to the point that I can't flex my left foot upward with any effective force. I can still push downward with it.

Of course, the problem this poses is that I can shift my bike into 1st gear - but I can't pull it up into neutral nor the rest of the gears. My neurologist doesn't know if this will be permanent.

Otherwise, I seem to be OK to ride again. I live in Myrtle Beach, I like to ride when I can anyway - but our rally is coming up in a month, and I usually participate in many activities.

I figured the best solution I could do - if possible - is to convert the existing single (toe) shifter to a HEEL AND TOE "rocker"-type shifter similar to what I've had on previous Harleys with floorboards. That way, it would be just a simple matter of using my heel to also push downward into neutral and through the rest of the gears.

I checked with the local Harley Dealer and some other shops to find out if any company makes a simple conversion shifter arm, etc - none known. However, they recommend replacing the SHAFT that the shifter arm connects to with one that has splines on both sides, like is on the Softail Classic, Road King, etc - and then a heel/toe shifter setup that fits and clears the side case. They don't know what shaft may work, though.

My question, therefore - has anyone on this forum ever done this?

If so, how? If not, any recommendations?

Thank you all in advance for any helpful responses and recommendations; I really want to get back on 2 wheels - but in more than just first gear...

Old 04-08-2011, 05:13 PM
stevelonewolf
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your situation is only going to progressively get worse and you would like to continue to ride, I have a better fix for you.http://www.pingelonline.com/eshifter_softail.htm Not referring to the trike but, the E-Shifter below. These set ups work great. I use one on my race bike and have installed several for customers with the same types of issues you're facing. You can buy it and have your local trusty indy shop install it unless you're inclined to take the task on yourself.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Beachbiker45
Stage III

Thanks Steve.

Unfortunately, it doesn't list a kit for my model - mine's a 1992 Softail without floorboards.

The situation probably won't get worse unless I lose most or all function of my left foot and/or leg - in which case I'd go to a trike or major modification anyway.

For right now, I'm seeking something that will simply allow me to shift gears on a simple budget and without such a high price tag (almost $1,000)...

Old 04-09-2011, 12:53 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Beachbiker45
... I can shift my bike into 1st gear - but I can't pull it up into neutral nor the rest of the gears...
...convert the existing single (toe) shifter to a HEEL AND TOE "rocker"-type...
Originally Posted by Beachbiker45
...I'm seeking something that will simply allow me to shift gears on a simple budget...
You don't need to flex your ankle. If your handicap prevents you from lifting your leg, to upshift, then why not just fabricate your own heel-toe shifter, using the original as a basis (since it has the matching spline)? You could easily weld the necessary "heel" arm onto a stock "toe" one; it doesn't even need to be padded. Just keep it aft, out of the way of where you normally place your heel, so it doesn't interfere w/ normal operation.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:11 PM
Beachbiker45
Stage III

Thanks, lo-rider. I don't have a workshop of my own nor equipment beyond just basic tools.

I have a guy with a local shop who has a whole warehouse of parts and does fabrications, etc. I stopped by when I had some time last week to request if he could consider something like what you suggested - I'm sure he has tons of shifters, and could just weld onto one of them and we'd leave my current one intact in case I regain strength.

However, he was out that day. I'm stopping back tomorrow afternoon.

What you suggested is probably the best chance I have, as it appears no company makes any type of conversion shifter arm - and no one seems to have done the shaft replacement who can relay what one would work to mount a stock heel/toe shifter...