Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Transmission Problems - 6 Speed RSD Gear Changes

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 06:54 AM
jamesn
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Problems - 6 Speed RSD Gear Changes

Hi guys, hopefully someone out there is able to help me...

I’ve recently installed a 300 rear kit that was supplied with a 6 speed right side drive transmission, a Harley TwinCam casing with an Accessories HD 6 speed RSD builders kit. All’s gone well and the bike looks low and mean, as it was intended to. However, I’m having issues with the transmission and nobodies been able to resolve or provide a reason for the transmission faults that I’m experiencing, including the company who assembled the transmission nor the supplier of the RSD 6 speed builders kit.

The problem I have is that changing gears between 1st to 4th work fine, they’re smooth and everything feels normal. But changing from 4th to 5th it’s not able to be done with the use of the clutch...as with all transmissions changing into top gear can be done without a clutch with sufficient RPM without harming the transmission, and it’s how many racers change into top gear. If I use the clutch it’s no go...impossible!

Then once in 5th I’m able to changing through 4th to 6th, they’re smooth and everything feels normal. But when needing to change back down into 3rd...this change requires a boot, and once in I’m able to change from 1st to 4th again normally until needing 5th again?

Neutral can hard to find and normally accessed via 2nd, i.e. first changing to 1st then into second and back down into neutral?

I’ve correctly adjusted the shifter claws with feeler gauges via the top cover access so this is not the cause. I’ve also adjusted the clutch to meet the clutch manufactures specifications of minimum clutch disengagement so clutch is also not the cause.

Strangely, at times there also seems to be a neutral between 4th and 3rd when changing down if the gears haven’t meshed correctly...at times causing me to touch the shift lever again which knocks it back into 2nd...not good, if at speed!

Does anybody have any ideas of what could be causing the problem as I’m at a stage where I’m considering scraping the transmission and installing a Baker OD6 RSD transmission.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:49 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Sounds like a shifter drum/ fork issue to me. Are you 100% sure the shift drum is installed correctly? Was this a new transmission or used? If used were the forks re-assembled into their original positions?

Old 05-07-2011, 07:13 PM
jamesn
Intermediate

I'll be stripping the bike down again in a couple of weeks for final mods to the fuel tank (wider and stretched) and then final complete paint job (all sheet metal). It's had plenty of time on the road now to iron out the odd bug. Had an excellent 6 hour country run yesterday with mates...shocked them all with how well my sutup handles and they no-longer have the impression that fat rears aren't for long rides or unable to take corners...however, I have bad a 250 rear for the past 4 years (110,000 km).

I was hoping not having to strip it down further for the final touches but it will be a good time to do so to get the bottom of shift problem...have a good look inside the box, run through all the changes. Being a NEW box it can't be too much...HOPE!

May be to do with different gear cuts, something assembled wrong or even a bent paw.

Anyway, once again thank you for your thourghts and advice, I'll respond at a later date with what I found.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:38 AM
jamesn
Intermediate

Hi guy's, I've finally finished my rebuild which I'm very happy with. Although I ended up purchasing a Baker 6 speed RSD. If you'd like to see pictures and know what went into it I've uploaded some to the softail members gallery and my profile, otherwise refer to http://www.bikepics.com/members/jnathaniel/04flstc/ for a good range of HD pictures.

Regarding the Accessories HD 6 speed transmission problems, now that I'm finished my project I'll have time to get to the bottom of the causes of difficult shifting. However, when removing it from my bike I notice that the main shaft has almost 1/8" end float, so I suspect a missing spacer or something and from the other things that were wrong with the box it a true indication that the assembler didn’t assemble it correctly.

Will keep you informed with the outcome.