Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Replaced shift shaft, now have primary/power issues

Old 06-05-2015, 02:17 PM
Dyna_Bagger85
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Replaced shift shaft, now have primary/power issues

The other day my shifter shaft stripped out on my Street Bob so needless to say it had to be replaced. Crap part is that as we all know, it goes through the middle of the primary on midglides. So me and my neighbor tore the primary off and got it replaced. Went to test ride it last night and got to the end of the street and ran into problems. She kept dying and then finally gave out. Turning the key back on and switching it to run the fuel pumped primed up, hit start and I lost all power to the bike!

I know I need to adjust my clutch cable as there is about 1/3 play before it engages the clutch, ok simple...pull the rubber boot down on the cable and adjust it. But for the life of me I can't figure out why power will cut out when I hit the start button. I lost power for a good 5 minutes, I shook the bike a little one time and power came right back. But same thing happened when I tried to start the bike again. I'm lost!!

When we took everything apart I stacked it on the work bench piece by piece as it came out so all we had to do was grab the top piece and put it back in as it came out. I had the ol' trusty service manual at myside the entire way. Torqued everything to specs. Put oil in and we to go test ride....NO WAMMY!!!

And yes first thing I did was check the battery cables. Anyone ever had this problem, is it a simple fix? Should I just take it to a shop as engine/primary/trans work is way over my head.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:36 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyna_Bagger85
The other day my shifter shaft stripped out on my Street Bob so needless to say it had to be replaced. Crap part is that as we all know, it goes through the middle of the primary on midglides. So me and my neighbor tore the primary off and got it replaced. Went to test ride it last night and got to the end of the street and ran into problems. She kept dying and then finally gave out. Turning the key back on and switching it to run the fuel pumped primed up, hit start and I lost all power to the bike!

I know I need to adjust my clutch cable as there is about 1/3 play before it engages the clutch, ok simple...pull the rubber boot down on the cable and adjust it. But for the life of me I can't figure out why power will cut out when I hit the start button. I lost power for a good 5 minutes, I shook the bike a little one time and power came right back. But same thing happened when I tried to start the bike again. I'm lost!!

When we took everything apart I stacked it on the work bench piece by piece as it came out so all we had to do was grab the top piece and put it back in as it came out. I had the ol' trusty service manual at myside the entire way. Torqued everything to specs. Put oil in and we to go test ride....NO WAMMY!!!

And yes first thing I did was check the battery cables. Anyone ever had this problem, is it a simple fix? Should I just take it to a shop as engine/primary/trans work is way over my head.
Check the ground strap on the frame.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:20 PM
Dyna_Bagger85
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Check the ground strap on the frame.
Mark you were spot on!!!! Main power cable to the starter, the nut was loose. Tightened it down, adjusted the clutch to specs, fresh oil. Shifts smooth and feels like there is less effort