Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Changing pully on tranny

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 07:46 PM
SlimsSG
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing pully on tranny

I just installed a feuling camchest with the 574 cams. I had the Andrews 37 chain drive in prior. I have Rhinehart true duels, and a RSD air cleaner.

I am looking for some more tq down low, as the cams come on around 3500. Is a good option to just change the pully on the tranny by 1 tooth larger to change my gear ratio? I have and 07 street glide. I know those cams would really come alive with more compression, but then I'd be looking at another $3k with crank work and all (103 or 107 kit).

Just wondering what my options are. I like the idea of doing some top end work, just don't like the idea of spending all that money.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:29 PM
Gary H
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you running a stock rear tire or an 18" one? They say you loose about 6-8 hp by going to the larger rim/tire combo because of the gear ratio change where rubber meets asphalt. Going down one cog on the front sprocket will help with the feel (torque). Making it feel peppier.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:06 PM
SlimsSG
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary H
are you running a stock rear tire or an 18" one? They say you loose about 6-8 hp by going to the larger rim/tire combo because of the gear ratio change where rubber meets asphalt. Going down one cog on the front sprocket will help with the feel (torque). Making it feel peppier.
I am running an 18 rear. I'm confused, I thought going up one tooth on the pulley sprocket in the primary would make it peppier vs. going down one. I believe the stock sprocket is a 29 tooth, I'm talking about going to a 30 tooth. That way I get some more pep, and I don't have to change the belt.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:32 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by SlimsSG
I am running an 18 rear. I'm confused, I thought going up one tooth on the pulley sprocket in the primary would make it peppier vs. going down one. I believe the stock sprocket is a 29 tooth, I'm talking about going to a 30 tooth. That way I get some more pep, and I don't have to change the belt.
Quite the opposite! To improve torque at the rear wheel you need a smaller trans pulley or a larger rear wheel pulley. Either change may also require a new belt. There are threads in here of doing both of those and keeping the stock belt, which will achieve reduced gearing.

However having changed cams why chose a set that don't do what you want?! If you have poor low down torque a small change in gearing is only going to give you a small improvement. If a 28T is available, at 3,000rpm you will get less than 4% improvement in torque, which is not a lot to shout about!

Have you had your bike set up properly on a dyno, to optimise performance? If not, that is where you should spend some money IMHO.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:04 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,024 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Originally Posted by SlimsSG
I just installed a feuling camchest with the 574 cams. I had the Andrews 37 chain drive in prior. I have Rhinehart true duels, and a RSD air cleaner.

I am looking for some more tq down low, as the cams come on around 3500. Is a good option to just change the pully on the tranny by 1 tooth larger to change my gear ratio? I have and 07 street glide. I know those cams would really come alive with more compression, but then I'd be looking at another $3k with crank work and all (103 or 107 kit).

Just wondering what my options are. I like the idea of doing some top end work, just don't like the idea of spending all that money.
You replaced cams with an intake close at 38* for cams with an intake close of 45* which softened up the bottom. FWIW, the Andrews 37 is probably the best all around cam available; often said may not be the right cam but is never the wrong cam. The 574 and the true duals are not the best combination for low end torque in a 96"er.

You have been given accurate advice on the the pulley change; it won't solve your torque problem. You can solve the problem for much less than $3K. $300 to increase displacement to 103" and $450 for a street port (set the heads up for the 574 cams) from one of the forum sponsors, gaksets, oil, retune and you are set for much less assuming you DIY the work. You didn't mention fuel management/tune?

I woudln't worry about crank work unless runout is way out or until you actually tweak the crank.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:47 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Just to support everyone else for more low end torque you want to drop teeth on the trans pully. Like grbrown said one tooth will only get you about 3% more. If this is the route you are going to take here is the belt rule of thumbne tooth you do not need to change your belt, two teeth you will have to drop one tooth on the belt.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:05 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

I owned a TC88 until recently and changed the compensator from 25T to 21T, using an SE kit that included a chain, which gave me a 19% increase in rear wheel torque. THAT is very well worthwhile and transformed the bike, but unfortunately not available for a TC96 or later. So I suggest concentrating on getting the engine properly tuned and, if necessary, swap cams for a more suitable set.

On the bike in my sigpic I swapped a TD set-up for the Supermeg you can see and picked up almost 15% TQ in the low/mid range. As an added bonus the motor runs much smoother and sweeter.

Last edited by grbrown; 07-25-2012 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Added para.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:10 PM
Barney Biker
Tourer
Default Gearing

If your 07 Street Glide has the stock gearing it has a 32 tooth front trans pulley.

A 30 tooth is a popular choice but you have to change the belt.

Barney

Old 07-25-2012, 02:27 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,024 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Originally Posted by Barney Biker
If your 07 Street Glide has the stock gearing it has a 32 tooth front trans pulley.

A 30 tooth is a popular choice but you have to change the belt.

Barney
A belt change is hit/miss; some do and some don't.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Fastrider124
Cruiser

Even changing the tranny pulley to 30 won't make enough difference to be felt much. The engine will be revving approx 400 rpm faster at the same speeds a difference of a bout 6-7%.
You will either need to mod the engine ( compression, porting, bigger bore etc) or replace the cam with something more suitable.
The Andrews 37 is about as good as it gets with a 96" motor, without spending 1000$$$. You can have a torque type or a high revving power type, not both.
The answer is a stock 120R!!! Fastrider124

Quick Reply: Changing pully on tranny