Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Help LEAK????

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 09:57 PM
dirtbag1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help LEAK????

Hi all,im new to this site, I have an 85 fxr, I have what seems to be primary fluid leaking on the inside of the inner primary by the front drive sprocket, I removed the cover,primary, and inner primary. Replaced the starter seal and the trans seal and the o-ring in the front. got it all back together and still leaks, compared the old seal to new seal and looks a bit different but not much, so what else can it be??? bad bearing, wrong seal???

Old 09-04-2012, 10:00 PM
dirtbag1
Intermediate

forgot to add, it only leaks after riding not when it sits and just idles

Old 09-05-2012, 07:50 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Did you change the quad seal behind the transmission main seal?

Old 09-05-2012, 10:17 AM
dirtbag1
Intermediate

No, haven't changed Any seals on the trans, was doing some reading and read about the main seal on the trans are known to go out on those tranyz??? I don't know very much about what and where the seals are on the trany, I would greatly appreciate any info u could give me, I still have the whole primary off so I'm still looking for the problem!!

Old 09-05-2012, 02:46 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Behind the drive pulley you will see a black seal about 3 inches in diameter. There will also be a spacer in the middle of the seal. You want to remove the spacer first its just pressed in. Then use a seal puller to remove the main seal and behind that is whats known as a quad seal it is a four sided o-ring replace both seals and spacer if it is grooved.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:06 PM
dirtbag1
Intermediate

Will do,thank you for the info, when pulling the drive pully off do I need to remove the sleave on the shaft that the primary bearing rides on???

Old 09-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,478 Likes on 4,603 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtbag1
when pulling the drive pully off do I need to remove the sleave on the shaft that the primary bearing rides on???
You do not need to remove the primary bearing inner race in order to remove the pulley.

Here`s a rundown on the seals that could be leaking, and since your bike is no spring chicken, you should go ahead and replace all the seals while you are in there....

Shifter Shaft Seal

Main Drive Gear Seal (the big rubber seal behind the pulley)

Pulley Spacer (it seals on the inside diameter of the big rubber seal)

Quad Seal (goes under the spacer)

Starter Jackshaft Seal (inner primary cover)

Mainshaft Bearing Seal (inner primary cover)

Main Drive Gear/Mainshaft Seal This is the one that many people don`t catch…(you will need to remove the inner primary bearing inner race in order to replace this seal).

The Main Drive Gear/Mainshaft Seal goes into the end of the main drive gear (the main drive gear is splined shaft that the front belt pulley mounts onto), and seals the space between the main drive gear and the mainshaft (the mainshaft passes through the center of the main drive gear.)

Ok, I know I`m long winded, but there`s more…

Since your bike is an `85, it originally came with the old configuration pulley, which has been upgraded to help prevent loosening of the pulley nut, which was a common problem on the pre `94 models.

The new configuration pulley setup:

New design pulley, thicker at the splined area.

New spacer, which is shorter to make up for the thicker pulley, it also has a larger outside diameter, to lessen the pulleys tendency to wobble.

New oil seal, larger inside diameter, to accommodate the larger O.D. of the spacer.

New quad seal, also larger O.D.

New lock plate and bolts, to lock the pulley nut to the pulley.

If your bike does not yet have this configuration pulley, I suggest you toss all the old pulley parts into the scrap bin and buy the upgraded parts.