Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Can't hit neutral

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 10:37 AM
bjstabio
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't hit neutral

I have an 06 Deuce with a Barnett Scorpion clutch with 1500 miles on it. I can’t find neutral with the motor running, so I installed Redline V-Twin Primary in the primary and Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny. Still can’t find neutral. My question is, if this is lubricant related and not adjustment related, would the problem more likely be in the primary or the tranny?

Old 09-12-2012, 01:19 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

99% of the time this problem is clutch related and I'd say 90% of those are adjustment.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:29 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by bjstabio
I have an 06 Deuce with a Barnett Scorpion clutch with 1500 miles on it. I can’t find neutral with the motor running, so I installed Redline V-Twin Primary in the primary and Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny. Still can’t find neutral. My question is, if this is lubricant related and not adjustment related, would the problem more likely be in the primary or the tranny?
Why did you change the oil?! If you don't have a factory service manual for your bike get one and read it. It advises how to adjust such things as the clutch.

Your problem sounds like your clutch is slightly out of adjustment and that is easy to fix. The plates steadily wear over time, so you can expect to adjust your clutch occasionally.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:56 PM
bjstabio
Novice

Thanks Mark. I'll try adjusting the clutch. I didn't think adjustment was the problem as I just had the clutch install 1500 miles ago. Haven't been able to get it into neutral from day one. Thanks again for the reply.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:17 PM
bjstabio
Novice

Thanks grbrown. I had the clutch installed 1500 miles ago and from day one haven't been able to get it into neutral. In reading through the forums I found that several people had the same problem and made the situation better by changing the fluids, so I started there. If the clutch is out of adjustment, it has been so since I picked it up from the dealer and I have a lot of faith in that dealer. I drive 300 miles one-way to have him work on my bike. I do have a manual and will check the clutch adjustment. Thanks for you help.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Sefferdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anytime mine has been hard to find neutral it has usually been the clutch adjustment.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:05 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by bjstabio
Thanks grbrown. I had the clutch installed 1500 miles ago and from day one haven't been able to get it into neutral. In reading through the forums I found that several people had the same problem and made the situation better by changing the fluids, so I started there. If the clutch is out of adjustment, it has been so since I picked it up from the dealer and I have a lot of faith in that dealer. I drive 300 miles one-way to have him work on my bike. I do have a manual and will check the clutch adjustment. Thanks for you help.
It does sound as if your clutch has not been adjusted quite right. I hope everything works out fine as I have a set of Barnett plates right here, ready to go into my bike! It being an older model, clutch adjustment is more critical than more recent models, so I am familiar with the need to fine tune adjustment.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:59 PM
bjstabio
Novice

Thanks Sefferdog! It seems to be the consensus that I need to adjust my clutch. I'll give it a go this weekend.