Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

5th gear seal leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 03:59 PM
platoon daddy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5th gear seal leak

Just converted my93' Softailto a chain to accomodatea 180 tire. Following ashort ride, I noticed a leak coming from the drive sprocket area. I tore it down and found the leak coming through the 5th gear and main shaft. The outside area of the sprocket was wet with gear oil.How do I replace this seal? Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-30-2007, 05:36 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts
Default RE: 5th gear seal leak

this is how i have done it many times. you have to get a small hole into the steel part of the seal andscrew a wood or sheet metal screw into the hole. don't drill into the trans case aluminum if you do your screwed. don't screw it in all the way. a couple of threads is enough.take a claw hammer and pull it out like you would a nail. seal should come right out. i drill a hole with a 1/8 drill bit. i put some masking tape about 1/4 inch from the end of the drill so it doesn't go in too far. some people think thats not the way to go but i never had a problem. if your not comfortable doing it like that you might be able to get a hole with a nail or a small punch.

Old 01-30-2007, 05:48 PM
platoon daddy
2nd Gear

Thanks brother but the seal I think you're talking about is brand new. It does'nt look like its leaking from there. The backside of the sprocket is dry. Any ideas? Thanks

Old 01-30-2007, 06:31 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member

is it leaking on the trans side or the primary side?

Old 01-30-2007, 08:21 PM
platoon daddy
2nd Gear

It looks like its coming from the primary side. When I installed the new chain sprocket, I replaced the seal you mentioned earlier and all the seals on the inner primary cover. I know it does'nt make any sense but it seems like its leaking from between the fifth gear and main output shaft.It is definitely gear oil and not primary oilthats all over the drive sprocket. ?????

Old 01-30-2007, 08:55 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member

did you oil the seals when you reassembled? if you did, maybe it's just assembly oil. watch it for awhile to see if it stops.are you sure the sprocket nut is tight? if it's not that will cause it to leak too. if it don't stop you will have to go back in.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:28 PM
platoon daddy
2nd Gear

Roger that....I'll do another check on that sprocket. Thanks

Old 01-31-2007, 01:35 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Wash it off with some brakekleen and let it dry before you tear into it.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:58 PM
platoon daddy
2nd Gear

Well the @#&!er is still leaking. Cleaned the sprocket area with brake clean before taking it out for a spin. Came backand found the outside of the drive sprocketwet with gear oil. Any ideas? Thanks

Old 02-01-2007, 03:17 AM
dowhat
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had somewhat the same issues you are going thru on my 01 Heritage. My leak looked like it was between the inner primary and trans. When it got tore into, my bearing/race on trans shaft which goes into the primary was walking into the trans. It was replaced with a one peice sealed roller bearing. Might be the same issue that you got. Mech said that shaft houses 5th and 1st gears. I spotted mine before it walked on into the tranny and caused alot of damage. Hope you get it figure out.

Quick Reply: 5th gear seal leak