Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Clutch adjustments,,,

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 08:15 PM
SANTA DEUCE
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch adjustments,,,

Im riding a 1997 FXDWG, Took a ride down to the beach the other night and made a pass through down town, stop and go traffic for a few miles. After getting out onto the main road i noticed that i was having trouble shifting. The clutch lever didnt feel any different but when i would try to shift up or down it felt like the gear shift lever was stuck. when I pulled up at a stop light to stop, with the clutch lever fully pulled, the bike choked off.

I have tried completely running in the adjustment on the clutch cable, breaking loose the jam nut on the stud inside of the derby cover and adjusting the allen head stud by turning it out and then back in until it starts to tighten and then backing off a half turn. then adjusting the cable until there is about an 1/8" of play in the lever.... The shifter will only shift without the engine running.

If I tighten the cable adjustment until the shifter will operate normally, the clutch will slip when i accelerate and the clutch lever is extremely hard to pull.

ANY help or suggestions will be very much appreciated!

Old 12-30-2012, 07:51 PM
SANTA DEUCE
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

the problem is the rivits came out of the spring plate in the middle of the clutch pack causing the clutch to have a mind of its own!