Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Need help to ID my transmission.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 07:21 AM
Lonesome Dove
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help to ID my transmission.

Hi,

I have a 96 Heritage that has had the transmission changed to a 6 spd. The problem is I don't know the brand. All I can see is the following code:

170704P022

I've tried to search for it, but can't seem to come up with anything. Can some one help me out or give me an idea of what to look for. I currently have 2 issues. The first is that the neutral switch is backwards. It lights up for all gears and goes out for when it's in neutral. The second is the speedometer is out by quite a bit so I would like to find out where I'm starting at least with the actual brand of transmission.

Aaron

Old 11-19-2012, 01:51 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Aaron, you may be able to rectify your switch by reversing the polarity of the wiring to it. I've read somewhere that there are two types of switch available, depending on model year. You will need to remove it to see if it is normally On or Off and get the other one!

Old 11-19-2012, 04:48 PM
Lonesome Dove
Novice

The switch on it at the moment has only 1 wire going to it. I have seen some switches with 2 prongs on it. I don't have the original manual so I can't check what was orginally on it. My 93 Low Rider has the same switch with just 1 wire and works fine. I don't know how the 96 Heritage is supposed to be wired up.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:17 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

If your current switch only has one wire it is a normally open switch. You need the 98-99 style switch HD part number 33902-98. As for your speedometer call Dakota digital and get a re-calibration unit. If there is no name on the trans my guess is road max which is made in Korea post a picture and I can tell you for sure.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Lonesome Dove
Novice

Mark, Thanks for the reply. I have actually already ordered that part number based on an internet search in which it came up. For the 12 bucks or so it cost, I figured I would give it a go. Kind of frustrating a lot of the sites don't say if it normally open or normally closed or ??

On the speedometer after a little more investigating I am happy to find out that there is already a programmable sensor on the bike. I've just adjusted it, but due to rain and having to leave for work, I wasn't able to test it out to see how close it is now.

On the transmission type, I'm trying to search on the Road Max you mentioned. It could very well be that brand based on what I've seen so far. Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info on them with regards to part numbers. I don't have access to the bike right now, but when I do, what angle photo do you need?

Regards,
Aaron

Old 11-21-2012, 03:45 PM
Banned

If the transmission were in the bike an angle from the right side would be best.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Lonesome Dove
Novice

I do have this photo if it helps any. It's not very close. I might ask the missus to try to take a picture and send to me.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:22 AM
Banned

Tuff to see.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:10 AM
Lonesome Dove
Novice

I just arrived back home from work and was able to take a closer photo. Does this help?

Aaron

Old 12-12-2012, 08:00 AM
Banned

Revera and Ultima put their name on theirs as do Jims. Road max do not put their name on their transmissions but they say 6 speed on the bearing door. You've got me on this one. Which I could be of more help. Trick shift maybe?

Quick Reply: Need help to ID my transmission.