Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Rotor/Primary Chain Spacing

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 10:23 PM
ccryder
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotor/Primary Chain Spacing

Hi All, I've got a Special Construction '91 Softail, with Delkron Motor,and Delkron inner Primary Case. I have been replacing all the Seals on the trans,motor sprocket shaft,etc. I'm not sure of the Rotor spacing, with respect to the Stator. I tried a spacer washer inside the Rotor(like normal),put it together,and took a String from the Motor Chain sprocket to the Clutch chain Sprocket. Chain would have been way out of alignment. So, removed the washer, reassembled, and ran a String again. Both Sprockets aligned properly. The Rotor is just normal. (Not one of those with spacers built in.) I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with the Delkron inner primary. I know Chain Alignment's important. Are these washers just for spacing? Or, do they add to the strength to that Thin Rotor/spline area? I don't seem to have any rubbing issues with the rotor & inner primary. Any Advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Old 12-10-2012, 09:35 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

If the chain is aligned properly you did the right thing by not adding a spacer. I have never used a Delkron case but I also do not have a spacer on my Fatboy. Each H-d primary is going to be different because they are cast that is why there is a procedure in the service manual for chain spacing, some need spacers, some don't and the thickness of the spacers can vary.