Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

six speed upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 12:25 PM
gman evo 1340
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default six speed upgrade

I was in FLA. made a mistake and rented a 2011 road king with the six speed now I must have one. My bike a 1996 FLSTN with the 5 speed I love my bike wouldn't even think of trading it. my bike is in way better shape and rode much better then the R.K. I rented with that being said I need some input on the differn't makes and models. I don't want to break the bank, Im hering they have some complete gear boxes out there for around a 1000.00 or so. Revira makes one Jim's makes one Rev tec baker ect ect. Has anyone did a conversion that can give me some advice

Thanks in advance

gman evo 1340

Old 12-10-2012, 02:09 PM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Welcome to HD Forum gman evo 1340.
You have lots to choose from and there will be loads of ideas and opinions on the direction to go.
I ride an twincam and recently bought a SE gear set for my bike.
Saved about 600.00 in the gear set and 1100.00 over buying the complete transmission from mother hd.
You didnt mention Ultima in your post, not sure if you have heard of them.
Happy shopping and have fun.
Rob

Old 12-10-2012, 02:48 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

All I'm going to say is after you buy your six speed I will still be here on the forums and a toll free number away if you have questions.1-877-640-2004 As for the rest of the brands that will be thrown around the only thing you will hear after the sale may be crickets chirping. 5 year/50,000 mile warranty and we back it up. Good luck and happy shopping.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:05 PM
gman evo 1340
3rd Gear

Yea man I here baker gears are the way to go, just a little pricie, I have a question in the event of a problem do i have to pull it and send it to you guy's for repaire ?

Old 12-10-2012, 04:11 PM
gman evo 1340
3rd Gear

CND thanks do you know if they are made in the states ?

Old 12-10-2012, 05:27 PM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Mark, didnt mean to diss you and the company especially since the OP posted his question in your sponsors section.
There are countless guys who have asked the fine folks at Baker for help, even more than once in the same day.
Bakers are made in the USA, the others are offshore from what I know.
Rob

Old 12-10-2012, 05:47 PM
omgtkk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My '86 FXRD is in the shop now having a Baker DD6 gear set and SP9 clutch being installed. I can tell you that the customer service I received from Baker, and Mark in particular, before the sale was exceptional. I spoke with Mark on several occasions discussing the different options I had and working up a plan so I could update my bike to a splined shaft tranny. When the gear set and clutch arrived you could just see the quality in the build.
I have a friend that had a Baker 6 installed in his 84 FLH last summer. I took his bike out for a long ride and couldn't believe how smooth and precise the shifts were. No "Clunk" when you drop it down into first. Just slick little "snicks" as you went from gear to gear.

I know the baker parts are more expensive than the offshore units like Ultima & RevTech, but there is no question you get what you pay for. I have 3 Harleys and the bike that this tranny is going into is my long term keeper. I keep this one until I can't ride any more. So the money spent on the Baker is worth it to me. It sounds like your '96 is your soulmate also. If you plan on keeping it for another 15 years, then the cost of the Baker spread out over that time isn't so bad.
Also, speaking to a few friends that are in the aftermarket parts business, it looks like Custom Chrome, and therefor RevTech, may be in some serious trouble. I wouldn't count on support from them a few years down the road. The Ultima's have a decent rep, but I don't know anyone who is running one to get first hand knowledge. My indy mechanic won't work with their stuff, but I believe he had somne bad experiences with their engines a few years back.

Give Mark a call at Baker and see what he can do for you. You don't need a complete tranny, just a gear set, or builders kit.
Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:48 PM
gman evo 1340
3rd Gear

omtgkk thanks!!!!!! for the input, I will give Mark a call, like you I will keep this bike till I can't ride anymore then pass it down to my son

Old 12-11-2012, 09:29 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Hey guys, thanks for the kind words and no offense was taken we are just very proud of what we do. I know what it costs to make products in this country and we would love to be able to compete with the offshore markets we just can't do it and still stay in business. Here is a fact for you though concerning pricing. The DD6 direct drive six speed was introduced in 2003 and the cost has not went up since then. Our cost for manufacturing has, but we have not passed any of the increase on to you the consumer.

Thanks

Mark P.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:02 AM
0lowrider1
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Mark,what is the difference between the dd6 and the od6.? I have a 01 fxdl and was thinkin bout a winter project ..I have a 95 tc.thunderheader .I currently get around 53 mpg if I cruise around 60 .I was wondering Wich trans would be my best way to go and could I expect better mpg at a higher mph ..? .what's your advice .thanks a lot for your time .

Quick Reply: six speed upgrade